kids...what to tell them...

lilymorg
on 11/5/11 1:43 pm

I am looking for suggestions on what to tell my 5 year old son about surgery. 

My first thought is to tell him I am going away for a few days (Im a brownie leader, so this is not un-common).  And when I Get home just tell him I have a sore tummy and need to take it easy.

I dont want him to worry about me.  He's had a pretty hard time adjusting to kindergarten this year. 
And also views the hospital as a bad place....my dad had surgery in the summer, and he went through a really rough time.  So my son thinks the hospital is bad...

Another thing, he is 5...and he is chatty!  I really dont want him to tell his whole class about my surgery.  Id rather not everyone know. 

So my options are - prepare him and tell him im going for surgery, gall bladder maybe? 
or tell him that Im just going away for a few days?

any suggestions?

Linda R.
on 11/5/11 5:09 pm - Prince George, Canada
VSG on 02/20/12
my suggestion is to tell him that you will be gone or a few days to learn some new things to help with your weight loss.  I am assuming that he realizes that you are working on loseing weight to make you a healthy mommy.  Also that when you get home he can help you stay on track with what you have learnt.

Hopefully then he will not worry and feel apart of your changes in life.  It covers some truth without him worrying about surgery.

Hope this helps.

Linda
Momx4kids
on 11/5/11 6:40 pm - Abbotsford, Canada
Well I only told my two older kids 13,11 yrs at the time because they would notice I was eating different and know something was up. But I didn't tell my two yonger ones 8,9 yrs because my hubby and I didn't want them to be worried. It turns out I looked really good when I got home from the hospital, the two kids never asked or noticed so I was glad we didn't say anything. My hubby stayed home for a week to help me, but really I felt so good that in 6 days I was walking 5 klms. If they have ever noticed I wasn't eating alot or just haveing a protein drink, I told them I was working real hard to change the way I was eating to be a healthier mom. They see I am working out and I made it a real point to include them in exercising like walks together etc., so they know I am loosing weight because I am getting more active.
Rhonda

Most Active