RNY Oct..3 - followed by a bumpy ride

bamf
on 10/20/11 6:22 am - Burnaby, BC, Canada

If you are considering or waiting for WLS, please do not get discouraged, because my bumpy ride was very unusual, but still the best thing I have ever done for myself.

Had my RNY surgery on Oct.3rd with Dr. Sampath.  On Oct.6th it was discovered that I was bleeding internally and required emergency surgery plus 3 blood transfusions.  Then on Oct.13th, I ended up back in emergency surgery for a blocked bowel due to a hernia at the largest  incision site.  All in all, I was in Richmond Hospital for 15 days (including 10 days in ICU & 8 days in isolation from an antibiotic resistant bacteria infection which can only be picked up in a hospital during a critical illness).

Dr. Sampath was a wonderful, extremely attentive, and caring surgeon making sure my every need was taken care of immediately.  His entire team has also been great, visiting while in hospital, telephoning and emailing since I came home, to make sure my recovery is progressing smoothly.

I am down 14 pounds since RNY surgery, and a total of 68 pounds since the start of of journey in March.  "Celebrated" the BIG 60 while in hospital, so at my age and weight, if I can do this, anyone can do this and be successful.

Barb Friesen 

jaynak
on 10/20/11 8:01 am - Canada
 Hi Barb, so sorry to hear that you had such a rough time with things.  But I am very happy to hear that you are doing better and are back home.  I hope that you have a very smooth and uneventful recovery from here on.  Jayna
Momx4kids
on 10/20/11 12:46 pm - Abbotsford, Canada
So great to hear you are doing much better!!  Well Happy Birthday!! This will definately be a very eventful year for you!!

clovergirl
on 10/21/11 12:11 am - Canada
SO glad to hear you're ok Barb!! Happy Birthday, and it's good to know that Dr Sampath and his team were amazing through all this.
Most Active