Back from Richmond Hospital and sleeved...

TheCoach
on 10/20/11 6:55 am - Canada

So I got home from the hospital a couple hours ago. I quickly took a long shower and reapplied a bandage to one laproscopic wound where my drainage thingy was.

I'm a little dizzy and disoriented from so many hours in a hospital bed, and not being in such a well lit place with lots of sunlight.

I bought an ice-t from Starbucks at the hospital, and in 2 hours haven't even drank half of it..not able to!

Dr. Sampath told me this morning that the first couple of weeks, you really want to take it easy...drink fluids slowly with the gas trapped inside of you and the swelling. Some people, he said, eat too much early on, and actually bust their staples before they even heal.

The pre-op liquid diet helped physically and mentally prepare me for this stage.

I think it'll probably be winter by the time I start eating meals again.

I'm surprised there isn't much pain though. Last night, I stopped taking my painkillers and i'm not feeling that differently.
jaynak
on 10/20/11 8:04 am - Canada
 Congrats on your surgery and recovery so far!!!!!  It was nice to get to meet and talk with you!!!!!   I look forward to hearing how your journey goes as we both continue down this road!!!!  Jayna
Momx4kids
on 10/20/11 12:54 pm, edited 10/20/11 12:54 am - Abbotsford, Canada
You probably still have a bit of the anesthesia in you(makes you a bit off balance), drinking water will help flush all that out. Good to hear all went well for the both of you!!
Rhonda

clovergirl
on 10/21/11 12:12 am - Canada
Congrats, and welcome back home. It's good to know the liquid diet helps, I start mine on the 31st, so having you and Jaynak talk about it the last little bit has been really informative.
bamf
on 10/21/11 2:02 pm - Burnaby, BC, Canada
Hi Coach:
I am so glad that everything went OK for you.  The weight will start coming off very fast.  My pain from the RNY has been gone for awhile, and the only pain I have now is from my 3rd surgery, a week ago.  Good Luck with the rest of your journey, and keep posting.
Barb Friesen
Lynnww666
on 11/1/11 1:38 am - Canada
Congrats. I also found there was little pain and I was off even the Tylenol 3 before leaving the hospital.
But do pamper yourself a little. Don't overdo things but keep walking. Take several short walks around the block or whatever during the day and move around the house. It really does help you to get feeling better faster.
Best of luck with your journey!
Lynn
Quien quiera pescado que se moje el culo
Dec. 2010 weight 355, surgery weight 292 Current weight 199

Cathrine J.
on 11/4/11 6:27 am - Victoria, Canada
RNY on 02/01/12
Thanks for posting an update, Coach.  By now I hope you're feeling steadier and stronger.  :) 
How long were you on the pre-op liquid diet?  I've been offered the lap RNY and believe he told me he wanted a 4 week liquid diet.  (I was so stunned he offered the surgery I can't recall whether that was pre- or post-op.)

Take care,

Cathrine

HW 262, BMI 46.2 / SW 216, BMI 38.2 / CW 183 / GW 155
*45 lbs were lost pre-op.
5' 3 1/2"

Most Active