Liquid Diet

TheCoach
on 10/8/11 4:52 pm - Canada
Of course I get tempted! But I am so proud of myself for not cheating.

Tonight, I went out to a nice Greek restaurant with my family for a birthday...and I didn't touch a thing...all I ordered was water. No taste of a sauce, not a nibble of this or that, nothing.

I find that at this stage though, I have really lost my appetite. The Broth is something I dread. I find the diarrhea has subsided as well.

At the end of the day, I haven't cheated and intend to complete this.

Have you been for your anesthetic consult yet?
jaynak
on 10/9/11 12:50 am - Canada
Hi!!!!  Glad that you're doing so well!!!  I have been tempted, but like you I have not cheated (unless you count the 4 candies that I had to eat to treat a couple of low blood sugars early on).  I still have a pretty gurgly tummy but I think that the diarrhea has settled quite a bit, especially in the last 24 hours.  I can't believe that I'm half way thru this diet!!!

I have done my anesthetic consult.  I am from Kamloops so I did all of my pre-op stuff when I was down to see Nooshin for the last time before surgery. 

Just wondering how much people were told by Nooshin that they had to loose or she would cancel the surgery????  She told me 7 lbs (and I think that I'm down about 10 lbs right now).  I did ask Dr. Sampath about this before and he told me that there is no set amount but that if he gets in there to do the surgery and you haven't done the diet properly and your liver hasn't shrunk then he'll close ya back up and you'll wait for over a year to try again.

Good luck to you.
TheCoach
on 10/9/11 12:04 pm - Canada
On October 9, 2011 at 7:50 AM Pacific Time, jaynak wrote:
Hi!!!!  Glad that you're doing so well!!!  I have been tempted, but like you I have not cheated (unless you count the 4 candies that I had to eat to treat a couple of low blood sugars early on).  I still have a pretty gurgly tummy but I think that the diarrhea has settled quite a bit, especially in the last 24 hours.  I can't believe that I'm half way thru this diet!!!

I have done my anesthetic consult.  I am from Kamloops so I did all of my pre-op stuff when I was down to see Nooshin for the last time before surgery. 

Just wondering how much people were told by Nooshin that they had to loose or she would cancel the surgery????  She told me 7 lbs (and I think that I'm down about 10 lbs right now).  I did ask Dr. Sampath about this before and he told me that there is no set amount but that if he gets in there to do the surgery and you haven't done the diet properly and your liver hasn't shrunk then he'll close ya back up and you'll wait for over a year to try again.

Good luck to you.
Hmmm....

Nooshin never told me I had to lose X-amount of weight or anything like that, but she said that I could expect to lose 6-7 lbs on the liquid diet.

Dr. Sampath told me the same thing about the liver. I showed him Nooshin;s diet a couple days ago during my last pre-op appt. and he said if I follow it I should be fine.

Have you experienced any loss of appetite?
henner33
on 10/10/11 3:28 am - Canada
 I had surgery with Dr Nguyen in June. I was also told by Nooshin that I had to lose a minimum of 7 lbs or no surgery. I lost 18 lbs pre op. 
About the liver:
I was told previously that I had an enlarged fatty liver. It was something I was concerned about going into surgery so afterwards I asked Dr Nguyen what my liver looked like. He said pink, healthy and perfect. It did shrink significantly and was perfectly ready on surgery day.
 I was really strict on my pre op too. I agree with the chicken broth statement YUK! I ate a lot of sugar free popsicles, and skinny cow frozen treats while on the pre op diet. Not a fan of flavored yogurt and so I opted for greek yogurt for the most part. 
It is amazing how much "waste" is still produced when on liquids lol. Our poor bowels are in for quite a rollercaoster ride until a bit after surgery when you start to eat regular again. Don't worry it is normal. You will not have any action in that area for nearly a week after surgery as well, although you will really want to lol.  Eventually once everything settles down you will return to nomal and then you will wonder where it's all coming from. Just remember water, water, water. All the best to the two of you who are preparing for this awesome adventure!! Take each day one at a time and don't expect too much too fast. It will work and you will do great!
Cheers
jaynak
on 10/10/11 4:17 am - Canada
TheCoach, yup I have the loss of appetite.  It's a good thing that I can't eat much right now cause I'm not hungry and most of the things that I can eat are absolutely disgusting looking to me!!!!  I find that the only time that I feel "hungry" is when I'm lacking on my water and i'm actually thirsty so a glass or two of water and I'm good to go.

Heather, you're lucky that you could have that stuff, Nooshin told me what I was allowed to have in a day and that was it!!!  I can have the sugar free popsicles or jell-o on top of my other stuff but that's all.

Can't believe that it's one week today and operating room here I come!!!  I'm so excited!!
TheCoach
on 10/10/11 1:48 pm - Canada
Well the liquid diet must be working.

I used ketostix today, which basically test your urine to tell youif you are in ketosis, and I definately am.
jaynak
on 10/11/11 3:00 am - Canada
Good for you!!!  I never even thought to test for that!!!  Actually my first thought was, wow, that's not very good, followed by wait, that's what we need from this diet.  Definately read your post too late at night to fully comprehend it!!!  LOL.  How's the rest of the diet going???  I'm so glad to only have 6 days of it left, I'm getting bored with no variety even though I'm not really hungry or wanting to eat much of anything.  Oh well, just gotta keep the big prize at the end in mind.
jaynak
on 10/11/11 4:29 am - Canada
Just got a call from Dr. Sampath's office to be at the hospital for 11am and surgery is about 1pm.  This should be interesting cause fasting for that long and stress ought to add up to some pretty high blood sugars!!!!  Ah well, will just let the docs and nurses do what they need to to get them back down under control.
Most Active