Liquid Diet

jaynak
on 10/2/11 2:43 am - Canada
Today is the first day of my liquid diet!!!!! I can't believe that this day is here and that in 2 weeks I'll be having my surgery!!!!  This time is just flying by!!!
bamf
on 10/2/11 4:35 am - Burnaby, BC, Canada
Hi Jayna:
You will be surprised at how fast it will go by.  This is my last day of pre-op liquid diet.  My RNY is at 10AM tomorrow morning, and then I start my 2 week post-op liquid diet.  I hardly seemed to miss the food because the liquids filled me up.  Did not ever feel hungry, and had some difficulty finishing all the liquids that Nooshin wanted me to have each day.  GOOD LUCK!!!
Barb Friesen
jaynak
on 10/2/11 7:54 am - Canada
Good luck with your surgery tomorrow!!!  Did you find that you missed chewing things???  That's the one thing that I'm afraid of but Nooshin said that if I really wanted to chew i could have ice or sugar free hard candy (only a few but still something).  Only 10 mor days of work and then I head to Richmond!!!!  Jayna
Momx4kids
on 10/2/11 8:13 am - Abbotsford, Canada
So exciting for you two!! Keep us updated on your recovery Barb, good luck tomorrow!!
Rhonda

TheCoach
on 10/3/11 10:17 am - Canada
Yeah I just started it too...

I'm having some anxiety and fear of the possibility of my liver being too large for surgery, so I am sticking to this 100%.

Its weird when you look at this forum, it seems so many surgeons have so many different methods and requirements for the pre-op liquid diet. I am a little concerned because I have read that a low carbohydrate pre-op diet helps reduce liver size so its easier for the surgeon to work around, and the liquid diet Nooshin gives us isn't exactly low carb.

Here's what mine is for a day:

4 X Glucerna drinks

3 X packets 35 calorie low sugar yogurt

2 Cups of Skim Milk

2 Cups of Reduced Sodium Broth

1 Scoop of Protein Powder

Lots of Water

Now, being a relatively young male who has a pretty high BMI, I assume this will be a lot more than what most of you are alotted.

So far, I have learned that chicken broth (at least the low sodium kind) is DISGUSTING on its own. I have been adding about a teaspoon of low carb hot sauce, some potassium salt ("no salt") and some black pepper, and straining it. That gives me a cup of broth soup which I have twice a day.

Does anyone have experience or know if the diet worked in shrinking their liver adequately?

There was a study done in 1998 by a guy named Dr. Robert Fris in New Zealand, that showed that a liquid diet does reduce liver size in pre-op WLS patients.
You can see a synopsis here: www.springerlink.com/content/5n102728077q178r/

Basically, he put his patients on the Optifast Very Low Calorie diet and they managed to see significant reduction in liver size.

I feel like this liquid diet really isn't that hard to stick with if you drink enough water to keep you full and hydrated, but that this final liver shrinking is the last hurdle to climb, as I know my ultrasound showed a fatty liver (as it will in most adults who are obese or overweight).
Momx4kids
on 10/3/11 2:17 pm - Abbotsford, Canada
Just a question...is a fatty liver the same as an enlarged liver?

jaynak
on 10/4/11 3:44 am - Canada
I'm not positive, but I believe that a fatty liver may be one cause of an enlarged lived.

Today is day 3 of the liquid diet and it's going well so far.  I too have found that the no salt added broth is absolutely disgusting!!!!  I've been adding garlic and pepper just to give it some flavour.  Just wondering if anyone knows why it has to be the no salt added, seems like we're getting much less than the required amount of sodium here.  I didn't think of it before, but the carbs are kinda up there, Nooshin told me that my max amount of carbs was 130g/day and I'm getting 105g/day.  I asked the question on another forum about how this diet causes the liver to shrink and the general answer was that it reduces the toxins in your liver and those that it has to deal with.

Here's my diet: 2x Glucerna, 3cups 1% milk, 4x fat free yogurt cups, 1 scoop of protein powder and 2cups of broth.  I can also have all of the water, crystal lite, sugar free jello and popsicles that I want.
TheCoach
on 10/4/11 9:32 am - Canada
Are you having tummy issues like I am?

My stomach feels all bubbly.
jaynak
on 10/4/11 3:31 pm - Canada
Yup I have the gurgling tummy!!!!  And I am in absolute amazement at how much a person can still put out after not eating any solid food for 3 days!!!! (sorry for TMI).  I am glad that I'm not the only one having this issue though.  Everyone is telling me that they cannot believe that I can go to work and prepare a full dinner for everyone and not even taste it yet alone serve it to everyone and then sit down with my broth and a yogurt or glucerna!!!!  Have you found that  you're tempted by things???  I've had that a few times but I just remind myself of what the ultimate goal is and it helps me to keep with it.
jaynak
on 10/8/11 1:54 am - Canada
Well 6 days down and  8 more to go!!!!!  I definately know why Dr. Sampath doesn't require a bowel prep, you spend most of the 2 weeks doing a type of cleanse!!!!! 
Most Active