medjourneys.com

beemer2
on 9/21/11 11:03 am
I hired Med Journeys to co-ordinate a surgeon & accommodation package in Puerto Vallarta.  I had gastric plication done by Dr. Jose Cruz Castaneda.  He was an excellent surgeon--more on him later.  First I would like to warn anyone thinking about hiring Med Journeys.  I was given the run around on accommodation. They couldn't find a hotel for me at $100 or less a night in Puerto Vallarta. We had agreed with Dr. Castaneda for a surgery date of Jan.9/11.  After phoning Med Journeys repeatedly, they admitted they couldn't find me a hotel.  Their contract stated that they would pay for accommodation for me for 1 day before, the day of & the day after the surgery.  I found a resort hotel at Rui Vallarta & informed Med Journeys of this.  It was their job to set things up, not mine.  They also wanted me to send they the full $6000.  I sent them their share of $1500, and kept the rest. I paid Dr. Castaneda the rest directly.  I bet they would have kept all the money and where would I be?  The resort cost $126 Canadian per night. They reimbursed me $100 a night.  The resort was the Rui Vallarta in the NEXT province.  Med Journeys did NOT tell me or the doctor this.  The doctor wanted me close to his hospital in case of emergency. The Med Journeys contract claimed all my travel expenses to & from the resort would be covered.  After a day or so, Dr. Castaneda was upset because Med Journeys had not fully paid him.  Thus, my transportation costs were no longer covered.  I had to hire a taxi with my own funds.  Med Journeys did reimburse this when I got home.  I had very little knowledge of the Mexican money, plus I didn't have the extra funds with me to cover a taxi.  So I was at the Rui Vallarta resort with very little spending money left.
I decided to stay at the resort a total of 11 days, all by myself.  That was a disastrous mistake. Please, please bring someone with you for support.  I was sent back to my hotel the same day, after the surgery.  The next day began a very serious illness for me.  After repeated phone calls to the hospital (the receptionists didn't seem to relay the messages to the doctor) to talk to Dr. Castaneda, and describing my symptoms, he came to the resort to examine me.
He said that my slow, labored breathing & very, very slow walk were side effects of my antibiotics.  I didn't improve.  I tried phoning and phoning almost all day from the hotel to the hospital.  I believe the receptionists did not relay the messages to him, again.  I had to hire the hotel doctor, who knew English very well.  He, also, said my symptoms were from the medications. 

When I got back home to Kelowna, I went to my own doctor.  He immediately sent me to emergency at our hospital for the next 9 days.  I had developed blood clots in both lungs, and water in the left lung.  I've been on warfarin (rat poison) for 6 months.  I am now back to normal and have lost 60 pounds.  The loss was fast at first, but now is about 4 pounds a month.  I'm happy with my loss.  I only have 20 pounds left until goal weight.

I repeat, DON'T hire Med Journeys.  They are a big, unreliable farce.  And please take someone with you for support, preferably someone who speaks Spanish.  Oh, the hotel didn't understand my post-op diet instructions.  I received all kinds of food that was not even close to what I could drink or eat.  Thank goodness I had brought protein powder with me!

gina38
on 11/18/11 4:42 am, edited 11/18/11 4:42 am

I am so sorry for that terrible experience ;;; there is no worse than being alone in a country where you don't speak the language, alone .. and alone after a plastic surgery is the worst thing you can experience.

There are so many clinics that provide all inclusive plastic surgery packages,, I don’t understand why did you choose a company that works with hundreds clinics,, most of time companies like medjourney don’t even know the doctors or clinics they work with.
When you want to have a surgery abroad the best thing to do is to contact a clinic or medical operator that is established in the country where you are going to have your surgery. And my best advice is to never pay before you arrive in the country, before you see the hospital or clinic where your surgery will be performed and before your first consultation with your surgeon.

I also had some surgeries done in latin America,, but I went through one of the most famous center that provide all inclusive plastic surgery packages.

I went at MakeoverTravel clinic. I paid $6,900 for a package that includes
- Tummy Tuck
- Liposuction of abdomen, flanks, arms, legs, back
- Breast lift with implants

- 15 days in a 4stars hotel

- All transportation from airport to hotel / from hotel to hospital and each time I needed to see my surgeon for post operative consultations

- Bilingual assistant available 24h/24

- All blood test before surgery

And MakeoverTravel didn’t ask me to pay any dollar before i arrive and before my first consultation with the surgeon.
So by this way you avoid any hidden cost. My trip was one of the best experience ever. I am making my album to post my before and after pictures,, My avatar picture is the result of my Tummy tuck. I am thrilled with my results and I highly recommend MakeoverTravel clinic to anyone who is looking for a plastic surgery at affordable cost in latin America.
I paid $6,900 for my trip including hotel staying and surgery and all the services but such surgery in the US would cost me about $25,000 just paying for the surgery.

Most Active