Thoughts on protein

lilymorg
on 8/10/11 3:16 am
 I priced out some of the protein products at the Costco in Bellingham, I haven't gone anywhere else yet...but I thought it would try and keep track of them, so when I need to buy some I'll have an idea of cost.

Can anyone tell me if the powder is okay to use for the pre-op/post-op liquid diet?  Or if you strictly have to use the pre-made stuff?  It's a question I have noted to ask the dietitian next time I see her.

Here's the info I found out so far...

Bellingham Costco:

Premier Nutrition Shake is in premade bottles (30g protein, sugar 1, calories 160, carbs 5) - 18 (11oz) bottles for $23.49

Glucerna is pre-made bottles (10g protein, sugar 6, calories 200, carbs 26) - 24 (8oz) bottles for $29.99

Whey Protein is in a premade bottle (20g protein, sugars 2, calories 140, carbs 8) - 18 bottles for $24.99

Whey Protein Powder Isolated (27g protein, sugars 1, calories 130, carbs 2) - 80 servings - $36.49
Momx4kids
on 8/10/11 3:43 am - Abbotsford, Canada
I only buy Whey protein isloate in powder form and mix it with skim milk.

lilymorg
on 8/10/11 3:47 am
 where do you get it from?  Is this a good price?

Is the taste okay?  

Momx4kids
on 8/10/11 3:55 am - Abbotsford, Canada
I buy mine at either Save-on or Walmart. The one I buy at Save-on is usually between $35-$40 pretty expensive but it tastes good, and the one I bought at walmart is 'Body Fortress Whey Isolate' it's about $30, but I like the tast of the one that is more expensive. I haven't had a chance to check out costco here in Abbotsford but I think I will.

Momx4kids
on 8/10/11 3:58 am - Abbotsford, Canada
The more expensive one tastes like chocolate milk and the cheaper one seems to have a bit of an after taste, not bad   130 calories 30g protein 1g sugar

jaynak
on 8/10/11 5:44 am - Canada
For the pre-op diet Nooshin has me doing 2 bottles of Glucerna a day and one scoop of the protein powder that I got at Costco a day.  I believe that she wants you to do either diabetic boost or glucerna as part of the pre-op diet.  she did tell me that my protein powder would be good for after surgery though.  Can't really comment on the price of the ones that you have as I have no idea if they're good or not.  I know that a few people have recommended to me to check out Popeye's for protein powder.
lilymorg
on 8/10/11 5:52 am
 Nooshin gave me a sample of the boost and the glucerna...I havent tried them yet.  

So for the powder, how you make that into a drink?  with milk?  anything else in it?

jaynak
on 8/11/11 3:12 am - Canada
mine can be made with either milk or water. so far i've only tried it with the milk and it's ok.  i think some peole mix the powder with milk and ice and make it into a smoothie.
Lynnww666
on 8/13/11 4:28 am - Canada
I was able to use the powders both pre and post op (VSG) as well as the pre-mixed. For pre-mixed I got Bio-X which is 30 grams protein and only three carbs (with some other nutrients too) and I bought it at Fuel. If you buy a case of 24, they'rea bout $2 per can and it uses some real dutch cocoa so the flavour is not too bad.
I also have a little of the diabetic boost and the glucerna but not a lot as the carbs add up pretty fast in those.
Lynn
Quien quiera pescado que se moje el culo
Dec. 2010 weight 355, surgery weight 292 Current weight 199

Most Active