New member for VSG Aug 17

CSAL
on 7/12/11 7:09 am - Canada
hello,
 Looking for others in BC ( Fraser Valley) that are about to have or have had VSG .
need to know where and what to buy for protien ( best taste). Also how about vitamins during the clear liquid stage? Do we crush and disolve or what??
probably will get more info when I get to Mexico Aug 17.
Sal
raingal
on 7/12/11 3:13 pm, edited 7/12/11 3:14 pm - Surrey, Canada
Hi Sal- I'll reprint a portion of a reply to another post on a similar topic a couple of weeks ago:

I am in Surrey and just had my surgery (band-to-sleeve revision) by Dr. Ponce de Leon in Tijuana on June 17th.  I wouldn't count on getting good information from your doctor about exactly what brands to buy, because they don't know what we can get in Canada.  Asking here is really your best bet.

I take Swiss (then "Natural Sources" in small letters - not sure if that's part of the name) Adult Chewable Multi-Vitamin and Mineral from Save-On.  I've been taking this vitamin for three years since I got my band.  I like them!  Now I am taking 2 a day instead of one, because of not eating anything nutritious for a while post-surgery.  I read where everyone should take their multi-vits in divided doses to absorb more, so I used to take approximately half a tab (I just bit off half-ish; they are quite big) at breakfast and fini**** at dinner.  Now I do that four times a day, with my protein shakes or mushy food. 

I also add MagiCalcium Power (also by Swiss, bought atSave-on) to one or two protein drinks per day.  It also has magnesium.  I was also taking one or two Tums for calcium when I was on liquids only.  I'm eating a lot of yogurt and drinking milk now, so I don't take the Tums any more.

I was told by Dr. Ponce to drink chamomile tea in the morning, then three hours later have clear broth, then three hours later have jello, then three hours later have apple juice, etc., and sip water in between, for FIFTEEN DAYS!  When I got home four days after surgery, I looked up how much protein was in jello and broth, and it's not much!  I don't know why I was not advised to drink some clear protein drinks.  I read a number of post-surgical diets (there are a number to choose from, from reputable medical sources, here on the site - just use the search box) and they ALL stressed the importance of getting 65-70g of protein every day.  If you don't get enough,
you will likely have hair loss several months later.  Plus, I was really, really weak, and with so much to do to take care of my family (my son has multiple special needs and I also have a little girl), it just wasn't going to work with no protein.

So I decided not to follow my doctor's orders, and I got a protein drink called Whey-Kool from GNC.  In the U.S. they have another one that's completely clear, but I was told I couldn't get it in BC.  Whey-Kool comes in Lemonade (which I bought) and Peach-Mango flavours.  One scoop mixed with water provides 21g of protein.  It is not completely clear; it is kind of cloudy, but definitely not like other protein shakes I've seen which look like chocolate milk or something.  I figured it was close enough.  Wal-mart may carry something clear as well - I think it is called something like Shot or Bullet or something.  It is pre-made, you just open it and drink.  I was told it doesn't taste very good.  Whey-Kool is VERY mildly and quite pleasantly flavoured, which is good when you are drinking it three times a day.

On the tenth day of liquids (12 days post-op)  I added half a container of Premier Protein shake (from Costco).  This shake was recommended on this site.  One small tetra-pak has 30g of protein!  After a few days I was up to two of those a day, in addition to the whey-kool.  They taste pretty darn good, and it's much easier than mixing it yourself from a powder, especially if you're out and about.  At Costco it is sold in cartons of 18 tetra-paks, in the supplements section.

I would also recommend getting a good pro-biotic and taking it for a couple of weeks before you go, and as soon as you are able after your surgery.  They really blitz you with the antibiotics in your I.V..  I got a really bad yeast infection shortly after I came home.  I haven't had one in about ten years, and I've taken antibiotics a number of times during that period!

Good luck with everything!
Banded 6/17/2008
Band-to-sleeve revision 6/17/2011 - Dr. Jaime Ponce de Leon

CSAL
on 7/24/11 3:15 am - Canada
Hi,
After reading reading and reading everything that I can find about what to expect, The one thing I am concerned about is the flight home from San Diego to Bellingham and then the drive back to Chilliwack. I am going alone.....do you think I will be ok?
Sal
 VSG: AUG 17, 2011    
raingal
on 7/25/11 6:04 am - Surrey, Canada
Hi Sal,
Regarding the jello, I wasn't told to "drink" it - I was just told Jello.  I ate it the regular way.  I mushed it up in the bowl first, then chewed it thoroughly before swallowing.  They served it to me in the recovery house, so I'm sure it's fine to do it that way.

Regarding the drive, well, everyone is different, but I was okay to drive home from Bellingham to Surrey on my own.  They say you shouldn't drive, so I had a contingency plan of my husband and childcare provider both driving down and then one of them driving my car back and me being a passenger, but it wasn't necessary.  I did stay an extra day in Mexico because of being a band-to-sleeve revision, so I came home on day four after surgery rather that day three.  Chilliwack is a lot further, but I think I could have done it easily on the day I came home.  But as I said, everyone is different.  The flight was fine - I thought I'd have problems with my suitcase but I didn't.  I checked it so I wouldn't have to heft it from the overhead compartment.  I just drank juice and water all the way home.  It's a pretty quick flight, and Bellingham being so small you're out of there pretty fast.

Let me know if there's anything else you have questions about.
Raingal
Banded 6/17/2008
Band-to-sleeve revision 6/17/2011 - Dr. Jaime Ponce de Leon

CSAL
on 7/13/11 2:02 pm - Canada
Thanks so much....now I have a very stupid question... when they say drink jello..... just diet jello powder and water?
Also how does one take Immodium if required? Flight home might be real fun!
Sal
 VSG: AUG 17, 2011    
christineLyon.Vancouv
er

on 7/19/11 5:37 pm - lyon, France

hello, i am in vancouver but my surgery was in france, and the protocol was not the same and it was 5 years ago but if you want  some information, with pleasure  for, me i was unable to drink the protein .... just a small spoon of liquid was harsh, my sleeve was very tight   i was drinking small probiotic yogurt in twenty minutes   and i began the vitamin and the anti acid one month before the surgery   cheers 
Reglette regime
Most Active