Pre-op liquid diet

raingal
on 6/10/11 10:03 am - Surrey, Canada
I've read a bit around the site about people going on diets pre-operatively.  I'm going to Mexico for my surgery, which is one week from today (yikes!) and I have not been instructed to go on any sort of diet before I go.  I know there is only one week left, but should I be trying to lose weight or something?  Or is it more to rest my stomach, or get in a lot of protein, or what?  Could the lack of instruction to diet pre-operatively be because I have a relatively lower BMI?

I am having a revision from band to sleeve.  I had the band done here in B.C. (in 2008) and wasn't instructed to go on any sort of a pre-op diet for that one, either.

Any other information or tips anyone has about ANY aspect of this upcoming adventure is greatly appreciated.  I've already learned so much from this site!
Thanks,
Raingal
Banded 6/17/2008
Band-to-sleeve revision 6/17/2011 - Dr. Jaime Ponce de Leon

healthbound
on 6/10/11 1:06 pm - BC, Canada
I think the pre-op diet is to show the surgeon you are ready and motivated to make major changes in your life and to shrink your liver (of glycogen) before the procedure so it isn't "in the way".  I'm not sure if it is necessary for all surgeries but I need to do it to prepare for bypass.
suzanneb
on 6/10/11 2:03 pm - North Vancouver, Canada

Preop diet helps your shrink the fat around your liver, which will help surgery go well.

My liver had a lot of fat around it at time of surgery.

Suzanne

(deactivated member)
on 6/21/11 2:23 am - New Westminster, Canada
Hey, how did your surgery go?  I am seeing Dr. Ponce de Leon in 2 weeks, any info would be greatly appreciated?  Did you stay at the recover house?

Thanks
Darlis
raingal
on 6/23/11 5:37 am, edited 6/29/11 10:20 am - Surrey, Canada
Hi Darlis,

The surgery went well.  The first 24 hours I was as sick as a dog, so nauseated I couldn't sleep except in short periods of maybe 20 minutes immediately following throwing up - which happened about 15 times in the first 24 hours post surgery.

Dr. Ponce is really the best, so set your mind at ease on that front.  Other than that, I had quite a few moments of fear and upset because nothing happened the way it was supposed to.  It was all planned out that I would have the surgery at Angeles Hospital, and Dr. Ponce apparently wanted me to stay three nights instead of the usual two because of it being a revision instead of just a simple sleeve.  Then I was supposed to stay one night at the Hotel Lucerna before flying home. 
Lana picked me up at my hotel the morning of the surgery, and when she brought me to the hospital I found out it was one called INT (which specializes in kidney disease), and that I would only be there two nights, and that I would be staying with Lana (at Grace Guesthouse) instead of the hotel!  Well, as you can imagine I was really freaked out - I had researched where I wanted to have the surgery done and paid an additional $1,000 to have it at Angeles Hospital.  I'd never HEARD of INT!  The last thing you want is your plans changed, when you are in a foreign country, on the day of your surgery, and there's nothing you can do about it.  Well, Lana and the one english-speaking doctor, Dr. Friday, put my mind at ease (sort of), and we went ahead. 

The big problem seems to be Dr. Ponce's assistant Marlon / Tommy (pick a name), *****ally seems a bit unscrupulous.  I have reason to believe it was planned all along that I would have the surgery at INT, and I was tricked into believing it would be at Angeles.  Well, lucky for me I had Lana there to walk me through it all and explain what was going on, and Teresita to take care of me afterwards.  Lana's going to make sure I get my refund of that $1,000, which Marlon has promised will be wired to me by the end of the month.  We shall see...

The nursing care was great - when I rang the buzzer they came within 10 seconds ****ach time.  The language was a small problem, but most of the nurses knew some vital english words.  It would help to learn some terms in spanish - pain, nausea, pillow, towel, etc. so you can ask for what you need.  And some great tips that I'm sure you've seen elsewhere on this site are to take your own pillow, lip moisturizer and slippers.  And reading materials...the darn T.V. in the hospital never would work, and there wasn't anything on the channels offered at the guesthouse that I wanted to watch.  I'm sure glad I stayed there though, rather than the hotel.  I don't know what I would have done without someone to take care of me and provide me with freezies, jello, broth, etc.  And take me to buy new shoes, after the hospital lost mine when they moved me from one floor to another!

Well, I don't have time to write the whole story now; I will do that in the next week or two.  I wish you all the best with your surgery!
Best wishes,
Rachel

Banded 6/17/2008
Band-to-sleeve revision 6/17/2011 - Dr. Jaime Ponce de Leon

Most Active