Help really losing hair!

michellede8
on 1/24/11 12:09 am - Parksville, Canada
I'm 4 months post RNY, lost 65 lbs, and just recently my hair is really falling out. I asked my surgeon about this before my surgery and he said "your not going to lose your hair you don't have cancer". Well guess what I'm losing my hair and I mean alot of hair!

Can anyone help me? I'm assuming it's because I'm getting enough protein. I'm drinking a protein drink (30g protein) everyday.

Any comments would be great, thanks!

Michelle
Margo N.
on 1/24/11 6:05 am
I have had hair loss after every time that I have had surgery- along with rapid weight loss, anaesthesia can cause hair loss. I usually lost from about 3-6  months post op, and the same was true for my WLS...hair stopped falling out at about 6 1/2 - 7 months post op.

What is your total protein average every day (food plus protein shake)? Most post ops aim for protein at between 60 to 100 grams a day.

Upping your protein and supplementation with biotin can help promote healthy regrowth.

I am now 11 months out and have lots of short hairs sticking out all over the place - this is the regrowth!
Margo - Burnaby, British Columbia HW 283 / SW 269 / GW 160 (I'm 5'8")
Check out my blog at http://www.vsggoodlife.com/

Ruby_Trout
on 1/26/11 6:20 am - Canada
I lost over half my hair.  It has now all started to grow back.  I looked like someone had transplanted hair all over my head for a couple of months though.  Literally, I lost handfuls of hair in the shower from about five to seven months.  I have really short hair which helped hide it, but I was so happy to get a hair cut after Christmas and get it all close to one length. 

Ruby Trout 

Most Active