A couple resources for us BC folks

Margo N.
on 10/27/10 6:41 am
Found some awsome flatbreads at Safeway today: "Flat Out multi-grain wraps" Stats are really good: 1 wrap (I can eat about 1/2 of one with turkey etc inside) has 120 calories, 16g carb, 7g fibre, 9g protein. They have flax added and no trans fats either - total win from my perspective!

Also, for those who track their labs (I am a bit obsessive about this): BC Biomedical and Lifelabs Laboratories now have an option where you can create a password-protected online account and have access to your lab results. This saves me a trip to the doctor's to review routine results and also allows me to to track any changes or trends in my labs.  The company who provides the service is called my ehealth and can be found online at www.myehalth.ca

I'll let you know how my experience with this goes!
Margo - Burnaby, British Columbia HW 283 / SW 269 / GW 160 (I'm 5'8")
Check out my blog at http://www.vsggoodlife.com/

emeraldskye
on 10/27/10 11:31 am - Vancouver, Canada
I love myehealth!   It's so quick too.  I did my labs on a Monday and the results were posted on the Tuesday.  YAY! 
            Plus an additional 42.2lbs pre op! Starting weight 300lbs.                 
suzanneb
on 10/27/10 9:42 pm - North Vancouver, Canada

I signed up for ehealth as well, I think it's fantastic.

Suzanne

M1CHELLE
on 10/30/10 5:16 pm - Kelowna, Canada
 Thanks for that great info 
bbwvixen
on 11/3/10 4:09 am - Surrey, Canada
E Health is great, but I don't know what half the stuff means :(

Margo N.
on 11/3/10 4:18 am
A decent resource for understanding what the labs actually mean is this one from Wickepedia. it includes ranges in the international format that we use in Canada, as well as the US conventions and you can click on the hyperlinks for each value and it will take you to an article that explains what the nutrient or value means in terms of your health.

It is interesting because as you research you find that in Europe and Asia for instance, the recommended ranges for some micronutrients, such as Vit D and B12 are higher than Canadian and US recommendations.

I track my labs at home on an Excel spreadsheet and include a notes section for each one which explains the significance of the test and also allows me to note how I plan to address this through my supplements or dietary/lifestyle changes or, if necessary, meds. For example, I thought my B12 was a little low a few months ago, so I made a note of this, recorded what amount of supplement I had been using, and recorded the change I made to the amount of B12 I was taking. Then when I had a lab drawn last week, I was able to see that my B12 level has risen significantly, and that I can now reduce my daily supplement level a bit. I'll record this change and see what happens next blood draw, then adjust accordingly.
Margo - Burnaby, British Columbia HW 283 / SW 269 / GW 160 (I'm 5'8")
Check out my blog at http://www.vsggoodlife.com/

Most Active