Plastic surgery

suzanneb
on 10/19/10 2:33 am - North Vancouver, Canada
Well the plastic surgeons office called me back this morning, MSP has refused my skin removal on my stomach and the plastic surgeon will not even give me a quote until I get to 150 lbs. They said the surgeon will not look at me regarding surgery until I am at 150 lbs weight for removal of skin on my stomach. My gastric bypass surgeon had figured that my stomach weighs 20 lbs worth of skin as I was close to 400 lbs at time of gastric bypass surgery. They also said that they will not do this surgery in the hospital has to be done in a private clinic, I told them Im not comfortable having this type of surgery in a clinic but they said this is how this surgeon does his surgeries. So Im basically giving up hope of having surgery for the skin removal as Im 230 lbs now, Ive lost 150 lbs in weight but the receptionist said call us back when you are close to weighing 150 lbs then we will bring you back in see what the surgeon thinks and then do up a quote. She also said should I choose to go private pay that my hernias repair will not be covered by MSP that doesnt seem right. Surely hernia repairs are not considered cosmetic as well,when they are causing pain.

In any event I have an appointment with the surgeon that assisted with my gastric bypass surgery, as my surgeon retired last year, I see the surgoen next month re: my hernias and continuing 24/7 heartburn that I have had since September 23rdand will see what he thinks.

Suzanne

I am so turned off and disappointed.

Ruby_Trout
on 10/22/10 3:34 pm - Canada
I think you better find another plastics doc.  Why would he require you to be at 150 before removal?  Isn't your body weight up to you?  A hernia not being covered?  Since when?  You will be seeing Malik?  He can be gruff, but also quite helpful. 

Ruby Trout 

suzanneb
on 10/23/10 11:37 am, edited 10/23/10 11:38 am - North Vancouver, Canada

Im going to see Dr. Amson as he assisted with Dr. Rusnak with my open RNY bypass surgery 21 months ago.

Im suprised as well at the plastic surgeon's receptionist saying my hernia repair wouldnt be covered if I private paid for plastic surgery. Hernia surgery isn't cosmetic, I dont feel the skin removal should be either, because if I have skin hanging to me the likely hood would be the weight of the skin would pull the hernia repair out again.

It almost seems like with all the surgery cutbacks in BC that maybe surgeons are being told to try and push surgeries out more, therefore, that may be why they arent willing to do surgery til Im 150 lbs, and also, that surgeon from Vancouver wouldnt even put me on the waitlist for surgery last year until now, and now he says oh the surgery takes a year to a year and a half to get in but of course if I was on his waitlist last year I would be getting my hernias repaired now, so now Im 1 1/2 yrs behind in getting the three hernias fixed, not to mention the
skin on my stomach that needs removing.

I also agree who says I need to weigh 150 lbs, I think thats a question that I should decide but then the first surgeon that seen me sai he wanted me at 150 lbs before he would fix my three hernias, thats where the plastic surgeon is getting that from. Doesnt seem right to me, surely people get hernias repaired at 230 lbs. Ive lost 150 lbs in weight already.

I see Dr. Amson mid November.

Suzanne

Mochababy38
on 8/9/11 7:08 am
Hi Suzanne,
I was reading your post, and was curious to see what the update was.

I lost 150 +pounds and was wondering if BC Medical covers stomach loose skin surgery normally. I had heard if you lose over 100 pounds they did way back when, but I am not sure on now 2011.

I am hoping your story had a positive outcome!

emeraldskye
on 10/23/10 3:42 pm - Vancouver, Canada
I wish you well and please keep us updated on your progress. 
            Plus an additional 42.2lbs pre op! Starting weight 300lbs.                 
suzanneb
on 10/24/10 1:23 am - North Vancouver, Canada
Thank you, I will

Suzanne

Most Active