How many times to see Dr before surgery date?

M1CHELLE
on 9/19/10 4:26 pm - Kelowna, Canada
 Hi, I'm new to this group, and currently researching gastric bypass surgery in BC.  I've been reading some of your posts, and was wondering how many times you have to see the Dr. before your surgery is scheduled?  I live in Kelowna, so I would have to travel (Likely to Victoria) for each visit.  Any other info you have would be helpful too!
chale
on 9/20/10 1:32 am - Canada

Welcome!  Dr. Samaad Malik is my surgeon - he is in Victoria.  I live in Surrey.  So far I have seen him three times (my first appointment was September, 2009) and when I saw him last (Sept 2010) he said to come back in February and I would "probably" have the surgery in the spring.  No guarantees, though!

I only know Dr. Malik, and I know that he is very strict about his requirements for surgery.   He will want you to have lost at least 10% of your body weight and amp up your exercise. 

He can be quite, well, "brisk" shall we say and there is no chit chat going on.  He comes in, asks questions, answers a few, tells what he expects for the next interview and that's it.  My first appointment with him was quite awful - but the last few have been much better, although still no chit chat. 

From what I have concluded, you will wait at least a year (probably longer) from your first visit for the surgery. 

Good Luck!!

Cynthia

suzanneb
on 9/21/10 3:16 am - North Vancouver, Canada
Good Morning

There is Dr. Amson and Dr. Tang who are in the same office in Victoria, then Dr. Malik who is also in Victoria. Ive heard there is a new surgeon in Richmond Dr. Nguyen as well doing the bariatric surgery.

I had my surgery with Dr. Rusnak and Dr. Amson assisted, I seen Dr. Rusnak probably 3 times before I had my surgery.

Do you have a support group you are going to, there are a list of support groups under resources on one of the weight loss surgery websites based out of Victoria www.blazeonline.com/wls there is also another website www.wlsforum.net.

There is a New West meeting a week this Thursday, and there is a North Vancouver meeting tonight at 7:00 pm at Lions Gate Hospital in North Van, Seminar Room C just down the hall opposite the gift shop. There is also a Vancouver meeting Oct 7th Thursday at Mount St Joseph's Hospital, use prince Edward St entrance take elevator to 1st floor, Sister Germaine Conference Roy 7:30 to 9 pm. That meeting is first Thursday of every month.

I would also get the book Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies its full of great information for people looking into surgery, covers surgeries and everything fromn A to Z.

Suzanne

bbwvixen
on 9/23/10 12:57 pm - Surrey, Canada
I went with Dr Malik too and seen him three times within about six months, and then got my surgery about two months ago. I had already jumped through all the hoops for Dr Rusnak and wanted to introduce myself to Dr Malik and get him to put the name and face together.

Ruby_Trout
on 9/24/10 4:15 am - Canada

Hi Michelle,

I was on Amson's list, then Rusnak's list, then on Malik's list.  I finally had my surgery with Dr. Malik in May 2010.  It is a long road and one that should not be undertaken without some serious consideration. Having said that, I don't, for even a millisecond regret having surgery.  It has given me my life and energy back.  I am who I wanted to be. 

You have some good advice here.  Personally, I would choose Malik as a surgeon as his list is shorter than Dr. Amson and Dr. Tang's lists.  There are other options, including out of country options. 

If you are going to Victoria, although it is not much, it does help to go to your doc's office and get a TAP (travel assistance program) form.  It is pink and covers the cost of the ferry.  You need to book a return trip when you phone it in and remind the clerk at the ferry that it is a return TAP form.  

Best wishes to you.  It has been quite a ride so far!

Ruby Trout 

M1CHELLE
on 10/9/10 6:25 am - Kelowna, Canada
 Thanks everyone for your responses.. I have my referral!  My doctor in Kelowna chose to refer me to Dr Ngyuen.  I am now waiting to hear when my first appt will be 
Most Active