Upcoming Surgery / Sept 8

nikki_r
on 8/5/10 12:27 am - Surrey, Canada

Hi All, I am a long time lurker. I have a few questions, I am scheduled for VGS surgery Sept 8, but now I am second guessing my choice and I am thinking maybe I should have the rny. Has anybody out there switched there surgery choice when you already had a date? Was you date pushed back farther because you switched choices? Is there any sleevers out there that would like to share there outcome with the sleeve?

I will give you a little info about me I am 33 and 260 pounds, I have a real problem with portion control, I am not a huge snacker but I tend to eat a large meal (dinner) very late at night. I would love to have another baby in the next couple of years I have pcos and have tried to conceive for years using metforin and clomid; we have a 16 year old daughter.

I chose the sleeve as it is less invasive and I am a big scardy cat when it comes to surgery. Does anybody have any feedback to give me, do you think the sleeve will be successful or should I change to the rny given my stats.

Thanks for your time

Very Confused

Nikki

pennysmith
on 8/6/10 6:17 am - kelowna, Canada
I too chose the sleeve
how long have you been waiting
it will be a year sept for me...and then I had to wait a year for the initial appointment
im 51 this month

Penny Smith
Dawson Creek BC

pennysmith
on 8/6/10 6:18 am - kelowna, Canada
oppps
im no longer in kelowna moved to the island courtenay
nikki_r
on 8/7/10 10:37 pm - Surrey, Canada
Hi Penny,

I started my journey in 2004, I have gone through 3 doctors, 2 that did not get or time and the third his list was way 2 long. I am now a patient of Dr. Tang and first saw him in Feb 09. When I first saw him I had all my pre-op tests already completed so I just brought him the results and my file from the previous doctor that did not get the or time.

I am very excited I got my date 7 months ago so it seems like forever I have been counting everyday for the last 7 months. Now that it is 4 weeks away I am second guessing the surgery I chose. I have not heard of very many sleevers posting in BC and I am curious about there journey and how they are doing as a post-op.  I was so sure on the sleeve and now I am thinking I should do the rny, I just do not want to fail, I am so confused and will talk to the doctor on Monday.

Thanks
Nikki
gigi1160
on 8/9/10 3:46 pm - Vancouver, Canada
Hi Niiki!

I celebrated my 1 year anniversary of my Sleeve Surgery on Saturday and I have no regrets whatsoever.  At my heaviest weight prior to surgery I was 280 lbs and today I'm 185 lbs.  I had a long laundry list of health issues, including high blood pressure, type II diabetes, sleep apnea and very agressive arthritis in my spine and was taking a large number of medications every day.  Pretty much all those conditions and the symptoms that made my life miserable are pretty much gone.  The arthritis doesn't go away but I no longer have any pain.  I am on almost no meds and soon will be off the few that I still take.  I can't say enough about this surgery, it far exceeded my expectations in every way and I know I could have never accomplished the improvement in my health without this surgery.  I think that the risks with the Sleeve compared to the RNY are way less and the success is just as good if not better....for me the choice to get the sleeve was a no brainer.\

I'm happy to share any other info with you or answer any other questions you may have.  

Please have a look at my profile and take a look at my  before and after pics so you can see for yourself what a difference this surgery has made.....

All the very best!  Gina

Dianna2
on 8/9/10 7:32 pm - Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada
I had my sleeve surgery 4 years ago.  At my heaviest I weighed 237 pounds and wore a size 24/26. It took me a little less than one year to get down to 127 pounds and a size 2/4.  I have maintained a BMI now of 19 for 3 years and I feel great. The surgery was the best thing I ever did.  At the time I was a self pay and I wanted the surgery done immediately so I went to Mexico.  I had a great experience and even went back to the same surgeon 1.5 years later to have a breast augmentation and lift done.  After I lost the weight my breasts looked terrible so I went back to the same surgeon who did my surgery.  It was great to go back and see everyone again.  I completely understand the concerns about wls and which procedure to do.  For me the vertical sleeve gastrectomy was the safest and least invasive choice and it worked beautifully.  I can eat anything I want - but just a small amount of it.
If you have any questions please email me anytime.
[email protected] 

VSG Maintenance Group Forum        http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

nikki_r
on 8/12/10 8:13 pm - Surrey, Canada
Hi Gina & Diana,

Thanks for your reply you both have done truly amazing. I am absolutely sure now that I want the sleeve I have read allot on the sleeve forum. I am not sure why I was second guessing it that is what I wanted from the beginning, I think the rny is to invasive for me at this moment in my life. I started this journey so long ago and I did procrastinate about it for a long time and it was because I was not sure about the rny when I found out there was options for me that is when I started to become excited about the procedure. I know this choice is perfect for me. I hope to see you both keep posting and I will too as not many sleevers are active in the bc forum and I am sure there is more people out there wondering the long term outcome for sleevers.

Take Care
Nikki
gigi1160
on 8/18/10 12:15 pm - Vancouver, Canada

Yes please do keep us posted.  If you need any post operative support please feel free to email me at [email protected].  Where are you having your surgery??

All the best!

Gina

Most Active