Dr. Tang, Victoria BC

momto4redheads
on 6/14/10 6:01 am - Waterloo, Canada
 I had my initial consultation with Dr. Tang on Friday and thought I would post here to let everyone know what he is like...in case anyone wants to go this route.

First off, I avoided booking with Dr. Amson because everyone I know has waited for 3-5 hours in his office for their appointment, every time they go...not sure how you can call it an appointment if you are waiting that long????

Dr. Tang is his partner and obviously has less experience than Dr. Amson.  He has been a surgeon for 8 years and has worked as a bariatric surgeon for a little over 3.  He has done 70 lapbands, 10 sleeves and 80 gastric bypasses.  He was a very, very nice man (married with two kids aged 4 and 7) and I really felt like he had my best interest in mind.  He didn't rush me and took time to talk to me about all the different options available.  What was supposed to be a 20 minute appointment turned into an hour and he seemed really happy with the number of questions I kept asking. 

I went into this apt. convinced I wanted the sleeve.  I have lots of friends with bands and some have been successful, while others haven't.  Dr. Tang basically told me I was too young (36) and have too many small children (7, 5, 2 and 7 months) to be considering any type of elective surgery.  The 1% mortality rate for the sleeve and GB he thought was too great for someone in my situation.  He said I should keep trying on my own to lose weight and come back in 5-10 years if I still felt like I wanted surgery.  That being said, he did tell me he would do the surgery if I really wanted it, but that his recommendation was not to do it.  He also said, if I was hell-bent on getting something done, that he thought the lapband would be best because it was way lower risk and reversible.  I didn't feel like it was a sales job because he was even telling me places closer to where I live that I could get it done too.

He seems like a really nice man and I think I am going to go ahead with the tests required to move onto the next step.  Once the tests are done, he said the wait was around 2 years...so I think I should at least get on the list...who knows what I'll feel like in 2 years.  

I'm considering doing the lapband but need to find somewhere that is cheaper than teh $15,100 they charge.  Does anyone know a place in Canada that's cheaper...or in the US that's cheaper. I know Mexico is cheaper, but I would have a hard time convincing my husband on that...for now I would like to find something in the $10-12K range closer to home.  Any suggestions?

Danielle
Ruby_Trout
on 6/21/10 8:41 am - Canada

First off, the fact that he told you that you are too young to consider surgery concerns me.  I might have been more convinced if he had said that your BMI was too low to be considering VS.  I would also be considering the impact that being overweight has on your life.  Do you have any co-morbidities?  Did he mention that there is a high slippage rate with the band?  I know of several people who have had bands removed because they slip and cause life threatening injuries.  Also, consider what you eat.  For example, do you need to lower  your sugars and fats in your diet?  It that going to be an issue for you down the road?  Is it easy for you to access fills?  Not all doctors who do the lap band are willing to take on patients who need only fills. This is something to consider when most prices include fills and you are a long way from your surgeon.  If, after all these things,  you still think lap band is the option for you, I would seriously consider Mexico as it is WAY cheaper and you get far superior service.  Dr. Joya has a good reputation.  There are some other docs who do as well.  The lap band is a less than two hour surgery and you are generally up and around pretty quickly.  I sknow that I was out shopping three days after my RNY and that the lap band is supposed to be an even easier recovery than RNY. 

Well, that's my four cents worth.  I am not a big proponent of the lap band, I admit that.  I think it is a good intermediary measure for severely obese patients who are waiting for VS, DS or RNY but that is it.  It offers restriction but not malabsorbtion.  Best of luck. 

Ruby Trout 

Non-Smokin guy
on 6/21/10 6:19 pm, edited 6/21/10 6:20 pm
HI.  
He too said keep trying to lose weight and come back after losing a more weight and he believed the lapband would be best because it was way lower risk and reversible. I found him to a kind man but rushed at least the day we met. The only difference is " Once the tests are done, he said the wait was around 2 years..." after the consultation his assistant informed us it would actually be approximately 3-5 years of a wait. So that's a way longer time than he originally stated. As of last week self-pay MIDBand had a cost $ 15100.00 and a wait of 6 months for surgery. 
I know it could be difficult to locate a surgeon who'd be willing to take on a Mexico WLS patient after the fact, so best to discuss this with a few local surgeons to see if they'll even take you on first before heading that far south. That could be alot of $$ spent returning frequently there if no one is willing to accept you as a patient here. 

you likely have these links but here's to

http://www.victoriaband.ca/ and http://www.victoriabariatricsurgery.com/ 

plus http://www.nationalsurgery.com/

All the best to you

momto4redheads
on 6/22/10 1:19 am - Waterloo, Canada
 It's actually not hard to find fill Dr's where I live.  I am in Langley and I have five friends with lapbands who live in the Surrey/Langley area and there is quite a lot of choice of who to go to...prices range from free (my Dr. said he would consider doing it for me as he has one other band patient too) to $150 a fill.  This is still a lot less than what it costs me to go to Victoria for the day and I don't lose 8 hours travel time on the ferries!!!

I think I am going to go ahead with the tests and get on the waitlist for surgery but in the meantime go to Mexico and get a band done.  That way...if the band doesn't work out, then at least my second surgery is covered.

Thanks for all the comments...eveyone's info is so helpful as this is such a big decision!

Danielle
Non-Smokin guy
on 6/22/10 3:52 am
Hmmm....I could use a few names of Canadian fill doctors accepting MEX Band patients. Could you PM me with them so I may pass them along?

Thanks

stephanie1975
on 7/10/10 4:24 pm
I am surprised Dr Tang told you it was such a long wait list.  The wait list for the bading is significantly shorter.  I contacted Dr Amson in early May, my consult was June 1 and my surgery is september 1. 

I have just met a lady via email who is having hers done by a dr in Ladner and there is also one in surrey/whiterock.

The lady is paying approx 14 grand for hers and I am paying 15.1 grand for mine.
gizy
on 2/12/11 1:43 am - Vernon, Canada
hi..
do you know doctors name...or phone #s from Ladner or surrey/white area..i live in Vernon..
thank you
regards
Most Active