tax returns

karen b.
on 5/28/10 7:51 am - westbank , Canada
Im just wondering,,,,,i had to self pay for my surgery,like evey other canadian/....Wondering how much you got back from tax for the surgery.  Of course im going to claim it next year.
anyone?

DISCUSTHROWER

gigi1160
on 5/29/10 11:42 am - Vancouver, Canada

Hi!  I was also self pay and claimed on my 2009 taxes and got back $4100 of the $23,000 it cost me.  So you can probably count on getting about 17% back. 

Cheers,

Gina

rainbow_runner
on 6/2/10 7:33 am

Hey Gina - can you elaborate on what you were allowed to claim?  i.e., were you able to claim hotel stays, mileage, meals - those kinds of things - in addition to the surgery & anaesthetic?  Thanks!

Carol

gigi1160
on 6/2/10 3:29 pm - Vancouver, Canada
Well my hotel accomodations was included in the cost of my surgery and the surgical centre made the arrangements but I claimed for  the surgery, anaesthetic, medications, lab work I had to do down there and all my nutritional supplements.  I didn't claim for mileage and meals because I didn't think of it but probably could have.

Gina

rainbow_runner
on 6/4/10 12:28 am

Thanks for that info, good to know.  I live over on the island so it costs me about $140 return on the ferry every time I have to go over for a fill, whether I have it in Vancouver with Dr. Arsenault (which I've not done yet) or drive to Everett.  Which is alright with me - every penny I've spent so far has been totally worth it.  Another lapband patient I know here said that RevCan won't allow the ferry costs because "the treatment is available on Vancouver Island".  What a crock.  If the friggin treatment was "available on Vancouver Island" without a 5-year wait, I'd have HAD the treatment on Vancouver Island!!  Ah well, I'm super happy with my weight loss and banded life so far, so I'm not complaining!  Thanks again.

Carol

gigi1160
on 6/5/10 3:39 pm - Vancouver, Canada
Glad things are going well for you!  I wish you continued success!

Gina

Most Active