Questions on revision and living far from Victoria

StephanieEllen
on 1/14/10 3:52 am - Smalltown, Canada
 Hi, I am hoping someone has some insight on these couple of questions. Please help, if you can. :)

1. If one lives far from Victoria, say 11 hours driving, are there alternatives to going there for some of the visits? What is the usual procedure? Initial consult, then what? What do those of you who live far from Victoria do? 

2. Who are the doctors in BC who do revision? I thought I read that a couple of them are specifically primary surgeries or lapband only. Can someone enlighten me or point me in the right direction?

Thank you in advance, it is hard to find answers to these things, and I really appreciate your help everyone. 

Steph
Mom_Of_Two_Girls
on 1/15/10 12:29 am - Summerland, Canada
I too am far away from Dr. Amson in Victoria and I was originally on his waiting list for an appointment which is basically a year long for even the first appointment.

Victoria for me is a major pain to get to as well as I'm int he Okanagan. I have 2 small children and a husband who works 11 hours a day and going over 2 mountain passes in crap weather just isn't ideal.

I called Dr. Amson's office to discuss remote visits. I even offered to set up videa remotes at my Dr's office here in the Okanagan so we could connect via video-stream and to put it bluntly I found Dr. Amson's rectionist to be the biggest ***** walking. They refused to do this and insisted I come see them.

Finally after realizing my surgery would still be more than 2 years away between the wait time for the first consult and the actual surgery I abandoned all hope.

I eventually went self-pay in Brazil.

When I called Dr. Amson's office to tell them they could take me off the waiting list, the receptionist again was a total ***** WHen I told her I was going out of country she told me (and this is a direct quote) "don't expect to come back here if you have any complications". Like it would be her decision in the first place to decide who does and doesn't get medical treatment in the case of a bariatric emergency.

I think Dr. Amson is the only surgeon in BC doing revisions. If I were you I'd get yourself on his waiting list ASAP or start looking at out of province or out of country options.

Good Luck.

Susie

Ruby_Trout
on 1/16/10 6:43 am - Canada
Only VIHA (Vancouver Island Health Authority)  is recognised as a provider of bariatric surgery in BC.  Victoria is the only place that you will receive care for bariatrics in a publically funded hospital.  For revision, you could try Dr. Amsom or Dr. Malik in Victoria.  Privately, I have no idea.  The usual procedure is initial consult and then figure out your options from there.  You could call both offices and ask the medical assistants if they know if each of these doctors performs revisions.  I am guessing, but MSP will not cover a revision. 

Ruby Trout 

Most Active