new member, contemplating revision.

StephanieEllen
on 11/14/09 1:16 am - Smalltown, Canada
 Hi everyone! I am new to this board, but not wls. I had a vbg in spring of 98. I am seeking a revision surgery of some sort (last I'd read, the rny was the choice for most - not sure if this has changed).
My starting weight was around 280, and I'm back up to around 275 on a good day, most days. I just turned 36 years old. I live in the BC interior, and lived in Alberta for my vbg. So, I'm unsure of how it all works in our lovely province, and would be very grateful for any info anyone could provide. In the meantime, I'm googling my way around, but this seemed like a pretty great place to start.  I have also emailed the victoria bariatric clinic with my story, and requested info from them. 
Thanks for hearing my story!
Stephanie.

StephanieEllen
on 11/16/09 3:04 pm - Smalltown, Canada
 Did I post this in the wrong place? Did I break board ettiquette? I am not sure, given there are no replies???
Thanks, from a newbie. :)
petite_jolie
on 11/17/09 12:54 pm - Canada
I don't have any info for you, sorry. Just wanted to say welcome to the board!!

Dianna2
on 11/20/09 12:22 am - Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada
 Hi Stephanie,
I think you are going to find it difficult to find a surgeon that will eo the surgery here.  There are only a few doctors in BC that do WLS and the waiting list just for a consult are approx 2 years.  It gets very discouraging.  May of us from Canada myself included had to go out of country and had to pay for the surgery on our own.  I have mine done in Mexico three years ago.  It worked well and I am now in a size 2 but it was expensive and a little scary leaving the country.  I had mine done in Mexico which is very common.
If you have any questions please ask.  I hope  didn't discourage you.  We need many more WLS physicians that's for sure.
Good Luck
Dianna

VSG Maintenance Group Forum        http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

StephanieEllen
on 11/20/09 4:17 pm - Smalltown, Canada
 Thanks for your replies. Dianna, you didn't discourage me, but maybe gave me a reality check. :( I don't know what my chances are being a revision, vs a 'new' case. I want to see**** and possibly go to Spokane, they have a centre of excellence (I think that's what it's called?) there.  I appreciate your honesty. I don't have a lot of info yet, and every little bit helps. :) Did you try for occ, or just decide to self pay?
thinmamma
on 11/21/09 6:28 pm - Kamloops, Canada
I just wanted to let you know that the wait for a consult in Victoria is not years.  My referral went into Dr. Tang in Sept and I originally had an appointment scheduled with him for November 17, but due to having surgery for something else only 15 days before I had to re-schedule it to December 1.  Unless you're wanting to see Dr. Amson you propably won't wait years for a consult, it's the waiting to get the other tests done that  takes awhile.  The wait once you're actually on the surgery list is probably the longest part of it all.  That's my experience anyways.  Good luck to you.
StephanieEllen
on 11/22/09 5:14 pm - Smalltown, Canada
 thinmamma, thanks for responding. What procedure are you having? Do you know if the protocol/wait is different if it's a revision vs. new surgery? Thanks in advance, I will have to check into the other doctors. How do you like Dr. Tang? Do you know if s/he does revisions?
Steph
suzanneb
on 11/23/09 3:45 am - North Vancouver, Canada

My understanding is that Dr. Tang only takes straight forward cases, an he is in the same office with Dr. Amson who to get in for a consult takes longer to get in for.  Dr. Malik is also in Victoria as well and does bariatric surgery he is the replacement for Dr. Rusnak *****tired early this year.   Your gp will need to refer you to one of these surgeons.

There has been major cutbacks on "elective" surgeries which weight loss surgeries unfort. are considered and the VIHA (Vancouver Island Health Authorities)  has cut back weight loss surgeries to 58 a year from over 100.  You can get in sooner I believe if you are self paying for the lap band surgery.  It also doesnt go by who has been waiting the longest it goes by who needs the surgery first, regarding co-morbidities and health issues.

This is why a lot of people have opted to apply for out of country surgery to avoid the wait times.

So you may get in sooner for a consult but may take a while to get surgery with the cut backs.

You can read about the cutbacks  on two other websites www.wlsforum.net and www.blazeonline.com/wls  

Suzanne

Dianna2
on 11/27/09 2:20 pm - Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada
 I have talked to a few of my wls friends and from their experience because you need a revision it will take more time for you to have a surgeon book your surgery date here in BC.  It is so frustrating for all of us patients.  We need to have more surgeons.  I was thrilled to hear about the new clinic opening in Kelowna that is fantastic.  I don't have any experience with insurance but I am wondering are the patients who are having surgery in BC being 100% covered? If you are self-pay then you can have the surgery done faster than if the insurance is paying.  Is that primarily because of the approval process?  I just wonder how much self pay patients are having to pay for the surgeries here in BC.

Does anyone know.  I had the VSG surgery done instead of  lap band for a number of reasons.  One of them was that I was going to Mexico to have the surgery done and didn't want to have to worry about finding a physician back in BC who would do the fills that I would need to make the surgery successful.  Does anyone know if their is a surgeon who will do the fills even if they did not do the original surgery?

VSG Maintenance Group Forum        http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Lena S.
on 12/10/09 9:46 am - abbotsford bc, Canada
Health insurance BC does not currently fund Lap Band.  They also do not fund revisions out of country as far as I know.  The only surgery MSP pays for out of country is the RNY, whether or not that would include a revision to RNY, I really don't know for certain.  I do know how ever that there is a payment agreement between MSP and Virginia Mason that the RNY can not cost more than $25, 000.

Stephanie you may want to contact your old surgeon in AB,  or the Weight Wise Clinic in Edmonton, it will be faster than waiting for Amson (the only surgeon who does revisions in BC).  In fact WW has a clinic especially for revisions.  MSP does pay for surgery in Alberta.

Good Luck!
Lena
Abbotsford BC

Most Active