first steps?

StephanieEllen
on 11/14/09 1:16 am - Smalltown, Canada
 I've been doing some reading here, and realized that the surgeries in BC are being greatly reduced, and people are being urged to apply for out of country coverage. How does one go about this? I have no surgeon, just a gp. I have never met with dr. amson, or other bariatric surgeon. I had a vbg done in 1998, and am seeking a revision. What do I first need to do? Please and thank you for everything, I'm pretty out of practice here. 
Kindly,
Stephanie
Margo N.
on 11/18/09 6:43 am
I am new to BC (15 months) and have decided to pay privately for a VSG (in Mexico) rather than waiting on the long list for surgery here - but this is my understanding:

It is pretty difficult to get approved for OOC coverage - BMI needs to be high (50+ I believe). You would start the process with a referral from your GP to a surgeon in BC, and I think you need a surgeion letter to support your app for OOC coverage.

Having said all of that - This province is really tight when it comes to WLS and has just reduced the availability further - so it may be hard to get coverage for out of country and the wait list within the province is pretty long.

I would suggest you read back through older posts - as this is where I go my info...

And, Welcome! and Good Luck!
Margo - Burnaby, British Columbia HW 283 / SW 269 / GW 160 (I'm 5'8")
Check out my blog at http://www.vsggoodlife.com/

StephanieEllen
on 11/20/09 4:23 pm - Smalltown, Canada
 thanks for the tips! I will search back. 
Most Active