Mexico Clinics?

Tryshh
on 10/28/09 2:08 pm - Burnaby, Canada
Congrats Margo.......I looked into him........

If I can't win the battle with BC Med I have decided to go with Dr. Joya in Puerto Vallarta.

He is the pioneer of bariatric surgery in Mexico.  I will get the sleeve and everything is covered, airfare, hotel, hospital for $10500.  The only extra I would have to pay for would be airfare for my husband to accompany me.  He also offers for 550.00, in case something goes wrong and intensive care is required or extra medical care etc while there.  I like that idea, one just never knows.  He will take 1000.00 deposit and that guarantees the rate in case the price goes up next year.

Being on the beach really is something I love and will help my recovery.

I'm thinking of early next year also,  have to figure the Olympics into my trip,  I'm also in Burnaby.

Do you go to the support meetings in New Westminster?  I keep missing them due to illness, will be at the next one gawdwilling.

Take Care
Pat 

Margo N.
on 10/28/09 2:22 pm
I am going to try and make the next one - missed the last due to a family member coming to town.

Congrats on your decision to go to Dr Joya, I hear he is really great. Aceves works for me because my Dad, who lives in So. California will accompany me - so I can recuperate at his home for a few days before needing to get on to an airplane.

I'm going in Feb, because I'm a grad studen at UBC and we have a couple of weeks off during the Olympics - otherwise I need to wait until April.

Hope to meet you at support group sometime!
Margo - Burnaby, British Columbia HW 283 / SW 269 / GW 160 (I'm 5'8")
Check out my blog at http://www.vsggoodlife.com/

nicknato
on 12/14/09 8:06 am - Canada
Yay for you! I am seeing Dr Joya on the 4th of Jan.
pennysmith
on 10/29/09 10:57 pm - kelowna, Canada
wow.....you have to pay for the sleeve?

wasnt it covered by msp?

I cant possibly fit that amount into my budget

penny

Penny Smith
Dawson Creek BC

Margo N.
on 10/30/09 12:46 am
Hi Penny,

I may be mis-informed, but I was under the impression that MSP covers only the Lapband or RNY - and that the waiting list is pretty long. I have an inheritance coming this spring and decided to use some of it on this surgery - and feel very very lucky to have the ability to do this!

(Typical for me, once I have made a decision I want to move ahead NOW - and I just didn't want to deal with the wait and the paperwork and jumping through the hoops for MSP)

Hope your appeal is successful and you are on your way soon!

Cheers,
Margo
Margo - Burnaby, British Columbia HW 283 / SW 269 / GW 160 (I'm 5'8")
Check out my blog at http://www.vsggoodlife.com/

suzanneb
on 10/30/09 1:43 am - North Vancouver, Canada

MSP will not cover the lapband, but RNY is covered through MSP.

Suzanne
pennysmith
on 11/1/09 7:33 pm - kelowna, Canada
I thought that the Sleeve -RNY was covered and not the lapband
Dont blame you for not wanting to wait, if I were in your position would do exactly what your doing.
I havent been accepted as of yet through MSP....still waiting...but feel I will be denied because of my BMI. Its lower and I dont have the issue of the life and death problems others are facing....
My blood pressure is under control, I was border line diabetic...got that under control...only problems Im having is severe pain associted to Osteoarthritis-surgery in my knee and awaiting a knee replacent....as well as bone spurs in my lower back. I have had 2 femoral hernias within a year apart....both operated on.
Hope all goes well for ya
Penny

Penny Smith
Dawson Creek BC

lbol
on 11/2/09 2:22 am - nanaimo, Canada
you guys are such an inspiration. i am on the waitlist here in bc for sleeve via Dr Tang in victoria and have been told that i could be waiting for another 3-4 yrs due to cutbacks.
I can get OOC coverage due to my BMI not being high enough and I dont have any co-morbitities so I am out of luck. Have to wait for the call from Dr Tangs office to get my date.

i wish that i was able to go to mexico too to get done but my hubbie is on disability so with 2 kids under 6 yrs old and only a month to month income coming i am out of luck on that one.

good luck ladies on your journey and i hope that if you get denied you fight to get covered and if not then good luck in mexico. i hope all goes well. i will be thinking of you.

lisa :)
Tryshh
on 11/2/09 2:36 am - Burnaby, Canada
Did you apply for OOC Lisa?
Take Care
Pat 

pennysmith
on 11/2/09 9:08 pm - kelowna, Canada
Hi Lisa
I too am on the wait list for the sleeve with Dr Amson, I was told up to one year....but that was before all the cut backs. My appointment was in Sept 2009
My BMI is 42.5 I dont have sleep apnea, diabetis, high blood pressure etc...I have chronic pain because of my arthritis in my lower back and knee, have had 2 femoral hernia operations within a year.
I sent my form into Dr Amson for his review to go to the states, have not heard back as of yet.
I fear I will be in the same boat as you....my BMI wont be high enough and I dont have co-morbitlies that suit the list.
Ive raised 4 sons, one died of cancer, its now my second marriage...first husband drained me dry financially.....had to start over about 5 years ago financially.
I wish I could go to the bank and borrow that kind of money for the lapband....cant!
Wish they had some sort of payment plan....sign me up!
It took me years of thought to make this appointment for the consult....took me 2yrs to see Dr Amson...now I may have to wait several more before I can have my life back...Damn!
Im 50....and would like to have this tool available for me before Im too old and grey....Oh My....what the heck....Im all ready grey!
Anyways....alot of people are feeling the cutbacks and are very disappointed.
Chin up....lets think positve....
Penny

Penny Smith
Dawson Creek BC

Most Active