Staff and Dr Amson

pennysmith
on 9/17/09 5:49 pm, edited 9/17/09 5:52 pm - kelowna, Canada
Lena
Thank You......But I will stay with the fine man I met and take my chances HIS word to me were correct about my surgery being within a year or sooner.
I have waited to see Dr A for almost 2 years, not about to start over with someone else.
Dr A. is very kind and we share something in common.....his 7 girls to my 5 boys...lol
I do believe he would have a great bedside manner, he is caring, and from what I hear the best of the best.....why would I seek another doctor?
Each case is different.
At the time of my consult I presented to him that I was prepared for this surgery, I am very knowledgeable about what I want, what too expect  during and after as well I know what he expects of me.
I have been preparing for this for over a year....journals of eating/exercise patterns, Ive lost some weight prior to seeing him, I was a border-line diabetic last October and as of July this year....do not show any signs of diabetis.
I do know......an informed patient is a better candidate no matter how you look at it.
This patient is ready!
All the best

carrie.c
on 9/18/09 1:31 pm - Canada
Penny..I LOVE your attitude! You are so prepared and I have no doubt you are going to be very successful!!! You know your stuff and that sure does help, before and after too :) Can't wait to hear you have a date soon!!! WOW, 5 boys! You have to be one BUSY mom!!!

I email with a gal who got her surgery for October 21st from Dr. A. I know your date will come soon. So happy when I hear people getting dates! YAY!!!
pennysmith
on 9/18/09 11:45 pm, edited 9/19/09 12:07 am - kelowna, Canada

Thank You so much Carrie

I have read and listened to many on support sites, complaining about this and that....mostly Doctors and the wait times.

Perhaps the surgery isnt close for them because they are not ready mentally or physically?

As I said before, every case is different.

I knew it would be a long journey when I started, I totally believe Dr Amson when he told me within a year, why would he lie to me?

I know Im ready, I knew what I had to do and I hope that is the reason he told me within a year because he knew I was well prepared prior to the initial consult.

I will continue to do whats expected of me,  prior to surgery.

I would love love love to have a date......but I will be patient.

I trust Dr Amson with my life why wouldnt I trust him with the conversation during the consult about the wait time?

As far as I concerned....people should be happy they are on the list for the most amazing thing that will ever happen to them. We are so fortune to have these surgeries and so fortune to have amazing doctors to perform them!

Be Happy!
Get Excited!
Get Knowledgeable!
Get Prepared!
Be Grateful!
Give Thanks!

BE KIND TO THE MAN WHO WILL BE HOLDING THE SCAPLE!

Your life is about to change and who cares if it takes 3 yrs........I believe in Rainbows!

Actually my boys are grown, youngest is 17 going on 18, oldest is 30

I was a single mom for years, no support from the X after a 23yr marriage, financially or other.....I put myself  last.

This is my second marriage, to a man that is 11yrs younger then myself. He has proven to be more of a father then thier real father ever was, dispite the age difference.

We both decided a new beginning was a must for both of us.....reason the family moved west from Ontario.

Its time for ME.....time to get healthy!

Time for a smile:

I have just had a call from a Charity, asking me to donate some of my clothes to starving Persons.

I told them off!!

Anybody who fits into my clothes is not starving!!

sorry couldn't resist!

carrie.c
on 9/19/09 5:15 am - Canada
One of the problems at hand is OR time given to bariatric surgeons. They take the times given and fight for more. I know for each of the bariatric surgeons they would do more, more often if they can get OR times. With the recent cut backs many surgeries are being cancelled and the wait times even longer :(!! All we all can do is keep writing letters to MLA and to BC Health and advocate for wls surgeries.

I also knew going into it before meeting Dr. Amson was this was going to be a long wait. I first got my consult to see Dr. Amson in 2004 and my first appointment with him wasn't until 2006 and my surgery was 2008. So from start to finish for me it was 4 years 2 months but I am thankful in someways it was that long because in between I got to meet many wls patients, pick their brains, learn, learn, learn and I felt I was more prepared and ready going through the progress. So for me this was the right direction and path *for me*! Some people are more ready and decide on a route less long but I knew talking to another wls patient of Dr. Amson who came to talk to our TOPS group about her experience and she too was over 400 pounds that Dr. Amson was the right surgeon for me so I didn't care how long it took, he was the only one I wanted doing *my* surgery. I am not saying other surgeons or other ways go about getting wls is wrong or less effective, just for me he was the guy! :)

It is sadly unfortunate that there has to be long wait times at the same time. But I know if more OR times were given and they did not view wls as an "elective" surgery we "wls patients" would not have the wait times we have currently. I read on a forum this morning that Dr. Amson has an appointment with Kevin Falcon (Minister of Health) this week.  So that is good news. One way we can all help is write a letter to be forwarded to Dr. Amson so he can take these letters with him to that appointment. Erin writes (and hope its ok I share this on this forum) but she writes: It doesn't matter if Dr. Amson isn't your surgeon. Whether you're a patient of Dr. Tang, Dr. Rusnak, Dr. Malik or OOC, this letter is for the Minister of Health, who ultimately funds all these options. What we want to see is why bariatric surgery should be a priority for the Minister: What difference has WLS made in your life, or why, if you're pre-op, you need WLS!! This is very important we all get involved whether a pre-op or post op!

Anyhow, just to make you feel better...Dr. Amson told me I would get my surgery in the fall and it DID happen. Dr. Amson has every intention of doing everyone's surgeries but not always at the time specified...it really does come down to wait lists and OR times given. He is at the beckon call of the hospital and when he is given OR times. And right now there are surgery dates being cancelled because of the cutbacks and the minister of health viewing wls as an "elective" when in deed it is LIFE CHANGING!!! It for many a choice between life and death. So just be aware that it might happen in a year and it might not but Dr. Amson does have your best interest at heart and will do it as quickly as he can. He did not lie to you..his hands are tied when it comes to OR times like it is for each of the surgeons here in BC. Just understand its a timeframe given. I know my friend Megan has been waiting for a date too and she has waited I think it is 3 years now and Dr. Amson said her date is anytime but again it comes down to OR times given. (geez, I sound like a broken record don't I?? lol)

We are blessed because we now have I think it is 3 wls surgeons here in BC. Some of the other provinces have none. My friend from Ontario had to go to the US because the surgeon in Ontario would not do her surgery because she did not have (forget what is was but I think it was diabetes) crazy eh!!! And we are also blessed because Seattle is not very far from us so those doing out of country is still pretty close and I have heard some really great thinks about Dr. Lilly (can't recall her lastname now) I heard she was an excellent surgeon as well.   Hang in there and learn what you can (as you are already doing)!!!
pennysmith
on 9/20/09 12:30 am, edited 9/20/09 12:31 am - kelowna, Canada
Thanks so much for sharing Carrie
I do understand the cut backs for sure, also understand that Dr A works with cancer patients as well. They take priortity in my books. Having a son that died at age 4 of Neuroblastoma, I know!
Malignant tumor on the adrenal gland...he had several operations, the worst was having to remove his entire forehead. The tumor metatisized and travelled to the outter layer of his brain. Poor little Noah underwent chemo, radiation...almost 2 years in and out of hospital before he past. So many children suffer....thank God for caring doctors.
I believe the short meeting I had with him....makes him "the guy" to do my operation as well.
Yes he did tell me he was having a meeting this week with Falcon...sure hope all the letters help.
You don't sound like a broke record....its always nice to read your replies.
Im praying, wishing, hoping and doing some more praying....my surgery is close.
I am also praying, wishing, hoping others may have a date soon.

Penny Smith
Dawson Creek BC

henner33
on 9/26/09 6:20 am - Canada
Hi Penny,
I also want to have the sleeve and have my first appointment with Dr Amson on Nov 16th, (I was referred in March 2008 btw).  I see you have responded to some of the messages that you will not be switching surgeons and you will stick with Dr Amson.  I just waned to say that is a smart move, especially if you have your heart set on the sleeve, as neither of the other Doctors perform the sleeve as of yet anyway.  I had asked to be referred to Dr Malik as I did not want to wait too long, and I got a first appointment for Dec 2nd and was told surgery within a year from that date.  I just called his office about 1 week ago, and asked if he performed the sleeve, because this is the surgery I have decided to go for, and II was told no he did not.  He does do the RNY and I am not sure about the Lapband but he does not do the Sleeve. Phew! Thank god I still have my appointment with Dr Amson and I will wait it out for the sleeve and I don't care how long, my time will come.  I think it is just really important to go with what you feel is right and not base it on who's list is shortest!  For me my gut tells me to go with the sleeve and therefore I will wait it out. Maybe our surgeries will happen close together and we can go through this together.
Take care
Heather
pennysmith
on 9/28/09 3:47 am, edited 9/28/09 3:56 am - kelowna, Canada
Hi there Heather
You are so right about going with what feels right, I would rather go into surgery with someone I trust and feel good about then with someone who is willing to do the surgery fast and has no bedside manner....and most important someone I really dont feel comfortable around. After all he/she will be holding my life in their hands.
I feel good about Dr A.....I am going in today for my sleep apnea test and the pulmunary function tomorrow...Dr. A. Feels I wont have a problem in either of those areas, I hope so too.
Im so happy to be finally on the list....many people I have chatted too are sad/depressed/angry etc. ....I was that way not too long ago.
I cant wait to totally change my life, The day I made my consult appointment...I started to change my life.....2yrs ago.
I told my self to start changing that day, Too me that was a good day to start.....I started my journals-eating/exercise. I thought...Why wait until I actually saw him for the first time....I knew what was going to be expected of me and I wanted to show him, I was more then ready. I also told myself this was the day to start and be happy, no more depression, anger, saddness.....I told myself to get excited about my  future.  I am fortunate to have a hubby, family and friends who support me...they have seen the change in me already...they know how stoked I am about this surgery.
They cant wait for the final outcome......neither can I !
I cant wait....Please Dr. A......pick me next ....lol

Penny Smith
Dawson Creek BC

1onthemove
on 10/21/09 3:42 am - Canada
Has anyone heard what the outcome of Dr. Amson's meeting with Kevin Falcon was? 

I was 1 year away from surgery  but it may be 3 - 5 years more.  Does anyone have any info on getting out of province (BC) coverage with a BMI>50?  I am starting to shop for a US surgeon as I think it will expedite the surgery.  I need to look at all the options.
pennysmith
on 10/21/09 2:56 pm - kelowna, Canada
first lets join together and get advice about a discrimintation suit/charge etc

Penny Smith
Dawson Creek BC

pennysmith
on 10/21/09 2:59 pm - kelowna, Canada
You need atleast 2 other medical issues to get approved for out of country funding like sleep apnea, high blood pressure, diabetic etc...

https://www.health.gov.bc.ca/exforms/mspprac/H2810.pdf

get it into Amson right away cause everyone is now doing this.

Penny Smith
Dawson Creek BC

Most Active