My weight loss journey!

sandrabc
on 9/15/09 11:47 am - Canada
Hello everyone I think it is finally time I tell my story. My name is Sandra and I am currently live in between both Seattle and British Columbia but I am originally from Poland. I am 37 years old and I have been over weight my WHOLE LIFE! Since I can remember while growing up in Poland going to school I was teased by all of the school kids. So yes children are cruel all over the world not just in the US and CanadaJ. I was always sheltered and closed in because of my weight problem. 5 years ago I was at my all time high 330 pounds and was only 5’9". I decided it was finally time for me to really TRY and lose weight. I tried everything I can find from the diet weight loss quick scams online to legit programs like jenny Craig and weigh****chers. The most I ever lost was 25 pounds but when it came back oh boy I would gain 30 or 40. So I decided to have a Gastric Bypass surgery. I went to my doctor in Vancouver BC and of course I was weight listed! I was told I was on a 2 year waiting list. When the 2 years came around I was told the list was still 2 years long. So I don’t know if I was never put on or what but I was mad! After getting the run around for 2 more years I decided that was enough I was going to go have my surgery in Seattle. HA that’s what I thought I was gonna do. I talked to several doctors and was quoted an all inclusive price of both $29k, and another doctor for $35k. I knew there was no way I could afford this so I lost hope and decided I would just wait until I cleared the waitlist. Then I started looking at this site obesityhelp.com and seen that people were having successful surgeries in Mexico. I was very excited to see this because I LOVE MEIXCO!!   I started doing my research and was finding all of these sites with what appeared to have fake testimonials and I just didn’t trust anyone. I am part of a gastric bypass yahoo group and there was someone in the group that had surgery through a company name MedPath Group who I believe are based out of Seattle. At first I thought nothing of it but kept talking to this woman and she was very nice and convinced me to contact them. So I contacted MedPath group and was assigned a Patient Coordinator Carlos Harper. Oh what a sweet heart. He answered all of my questions literally with in 3-5 minutes of me asking when we were communicating by email. We talked on the phone several times and this company doesn’t just have one surgeon they refer all of their patients to. He gave me a list of about 10 different surgeons they work with in Mexico telling me what he personally liked and didn’t like about each surgeon. I am not sure if part of the real process he is allowed to tell me what he doesn’t like but it felt nice to know the good and the bad. One surgeon really stood out name Dr. Daniel Campos who works with Hospital Angeles in Torreon. The reason why I liked him is because he has worked in hospitals in the USA so he seemed like the best choice. So on November 13th 2008 I put my deposit down $500 to have surgery with Dr Campos. The total price I was quoted was $10,000  whi*****luded airfare, hotel, and surgery for the Gastric Bypass. I did not have all of the money up front so I scheduled the surgery for March of 2009. I was sneaky at first I wanted to see how much the doctor charged so I contacted him with out MedPath Group knowing and I was quoted $11,500 for just the surgery with no airfare or hotel so they got me a good price. I felt bad afterwards but I had to make sure I was getting the best price.   Ok so I have came this far and I was so excited and so nervous at the same time but I had to go through with it. After begging my friend she decided she would come and have the same surgery. Mean while the whole time Carlos was right there to help us with everything we asked for. I swear it seemed like I was their only customer because I bugged him so much and he was always available. March rolled around and it was time to go we hoped on our plane not knowing what to expect when we got there. When we arrived the Director of the Hospital Myrna Gomez picked us up from the airport. When she handed us her business card I felt so privileged that someone so high up was picking us up. We checked into our hotel which Crowne Plaza which looked like any Crowne plaza in the US that I have been to. Myrna invited us out to a banquet that was being held at the hospital which we were pleased to go to. Little did I know this was a anniversary of Dr Daniel Campos’ previous patients about 50 of them all who booked through MedPath Group and they were all such beautiful and happy people I felt so great. The next day I had my surgery turns out I had stones that I was not aware of but the doctor removed them for me for free and stitched me back up. The whole time in the hospital about 3 days total I was waited on hand and foot. Most of the nurses did not speak English but my surgeon, his partner and a few other people all spoke English so I could always relay my message. My friend had her surgery the next day and it also went well. We were there for a total of 7 days and everything was paid for including our food.   Wow this is getting long so I am going to fast forward 6 months.. 6 months later I have lost almost 75 pounds my friend has lost 68 pounds and I feel absolutely great. This was the single most important decision I have ever made FOR MY LIFE. (not in my life). So let this be my official recommendation for Dr Daniel Campos at Hospital Angeles Torreon and MedPath Group http://www.medpathgroup.com/bariatric_gastric_bypass_surgery .php because they know their stuff. And if you are like me and need your hand held the whole way from start to finish this is the company to do it with. I felt so safe working with this company and Carlos, I wish I was able to meet him but I have yet to do so yet. I will keep you all updated as I continue my weight loss journey and I am soooooo sorry for such a long first post. I had so much more I wanted to say but it was starting to get a little boring!   Good luck to you all in your weight loss journeys. Sandra
Laurie D.
on 9/17/09 6:55 am - Victoria BC, Canada
What a nice story. Congrats on your 75lbs and continued success in your weight loss journey.

start - 262lbs - current - 220lbs -
current inches lost (overall) 60 and Feeling great!
goal = 160lbs 

sandrabc
on 9/18/09 7:47 am - Canada
Thank you very much. Congrats on the weight loss you have achieved as well. I hate to bug you but could you possibly tell me how you got that weight loss meter/tracker below your post? I tried looking around on the site but I could not figure out how to add that to my profile or posts.

Thanks so much
Laurie D.
on 9/21/09 10:27 am - Victoria BC, Canada
Hi, if you log into OH, go to My ACCOUNT, then you should be in SETTINGS, go down to Health Tracker, and there you will see (ticker and widgets, in there it will ask to create a new one), just follow the steps and it will create it. Then I added it to my signature.

good luck.

start - 262lbs - current - 220lbs -
current inches lost (overall) 60 and Feeling great!
goal = 160lbs 

carrie.c
on 9/17/09 11:42 am - Canada
Great story indeed!!! Congrats on your sucess so far! YAY!~
wanting2Bthn
on 4/21/10 1:09 am - TX
Just decided I wanted to read.  What a great story I and best wishes to you and your friend.  I'm sure by now you have lost quite a bit of weight now.  Take care.

Most Active