Need Help!

Angela K.
on 7/15/09 10:26 am

Hi

I am currently on 2 lists for WLS in New Brunsick.  My family doctor has recommended that I outsource surgery wait times in other provinces, the US or even Mexico.  This really scares me but my BMI is around 72.  If you can give me an idea of how long of a wait it is in other provinces etxc  I would really appreciate it. I called Medicare in NB and they advised that they will pay for surgery in another province  except Quebec but I need to find a doctor, then have my family doctor and the surgeon write a letter to the NB Medicare board to ensure payment would be made.  I'm lost at where to start so I thought I know...the great groups on OH can help.  I'm even considering going self pay if necessary

Thanks
Angela

Angela

suzanneb
on 7/15/09 3:36 pm - North Vancouver, Canada

Hi Angela

The wait in BC really depends on the bariatric surgeon, Dr Rusnak in Victoria who is retiring shortly has a new surgeon taking his place, Malik I think his name is.   I had my surgery with Dr. Rusnak and had my surgery within 6 months, but I had a lot of medical issues and require a hysterectomy urgently so needed the surgery to be done quickly.  Dr. Amson and Dr,. Tang work out of the same office in Victoria I believe the wait is from 2 years and up for surgery with them.

Out of Country through your medical plan is always an option, but you would need a bariatric surgeon to sign the forms, send a personal letter with this form stating all you have tried to do so lose weight, how your weight limits you be specific, and if you have co-morbidities list them, then send this back to your medical plan and see if you can be approved for out of country surgery, some people here have gone to the US because of the surgery. 

Also yu can go on www.blazeonline.com/wls and www.wlsforum.net website as well as lots of people on there that may have some suggestions as well.

Hope this has helped

Suzanne
bbwvixen
on 8/7/09 5:13 pm - Surrey, Canada
I'm on both Dr Amsom and Dr Malik/Rusacks lists.....3+ years for Dr A  and so far about a year for Dr R/M.

ppdog
on 2/14/10 12:55 pm - Canada
Most Active