Hi from Ontario

kimie S.
on 7/8/09 2:30 am - Belleville, Canada
Hi Everyone,
I am currently waiting for WLS (out of country) and have a friend on the Island in Victoria that has been asking me about the surgery. I told her that I would ask you folks her questions.

Are there any Surgeons in Victoria that will do the WLS? If so, what types?

Does your health plan cover the surgery?

How long is the waiting period for the surgery?  Here in Ontario, it is anywhere from 18 months to 2 years.  Most of us go out of Country into New York or Michigan. But waiting for Insurance approval is a total pain in the "you know what". I originally applied last Sept. for WLS in Ontario then in May I gave up that hope and applied for out of country surgery. I have now been waiting 6 weeks just for the approval. Then I'll have to wait for a surgery date....yada yada yada.

Anyways.....Just wondering if your process is similiar to ours here in Ontario. What can I tell her to expect.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Kim

Barb S.
on 7/8/09 11:49 am - New Westminster, BC, Canada
Things here are pretty much the same except getting out of country approval is even harder here than in Ontario. The difference is that OOC approval is a much shorter wait from the application to approval time.  It took me about 3 weeks from submission to approval.

As far as surgery there are a couple of doctors in Victoria. Wait lists are from 6 months to 4-6 years. It really depends on teh doctor, the volume of patients and of course the amount of OR time any of the doctors can get.

Ontario is ahead of the game with the volume of patients going out of country. Actually when I applied I quoted some of the Ontario stats which I think helped me get approved. I think 3 years ago Ontario sent over 900 patients to the US for surgery because they couldn't handle the volume in Ontario.  BC doesn't send nearly that many...it all comes down to $$$ and cents.

Good luck.

Barb
Barb
Post OP, RNY, Virginia Mason
June 17, 2008
SW 335
CW - June 17, 2009  193
GW  160        
Ruby_Trout
on 7/8/09 4:42 pm - Canada
Tell your friend she needs check out the following two sites (as well as this one):  www.blazeonline/wls/  and also www.bb.wlsforum.net   these are great resources and support centers. 

Ruby Trout 

kimie S.
on 7/9/09 6:51 am - Belleville, Canada
Thanks Ruby Trout, I'll let her know.........Kim
kimie S.
on 7/9/09 6:51 am - Belleville, Canada
Thanks Barb for the info......I know everything always boils down to $$$$ and cents Uugh!!!
Kim
Most Active