Any advice?

petite_jolie
on 6/19/09 12:45 pm - Canada
Hi everyone! I am going for my consult with Dr.Rusnak on the 23rd of June. Any tips? What to expect? I am very nervous and excited and want all to go well. I've never been to Victoria. How much are taxis out there? I am staying near Laurel point. Any sights to see? I was hoping there would be a support group while I'm there but no such luck. Please help with any comments or ideas you have. THANK YOU!!!!!

suzanneb
on 6/19/09 4:18 pm - North Vancouver, Canada

From Laurel point in, a taxi would probably be $17 to $20 but Laurel Point Inn if you emailed the concierge they could tell you for sure, they may even have a bus shuttle and may offer to take you there if you told them as its not that far away.  Laurel Point Inn is right on the Harbour in Victoria, many sites to see while you are there, wax museum, undersea gardens, butchart gardens (further away), Empresss Hotel, Imax Museum, Parliament Buildings, Craigdorough Castle,
mini museum, totem poles, Provincial Museum, Horse carriage rides, all the shops along main part of tourist area, Beacon Hill Park, double decker buses, sea planes take off from the Harbour there as well..  If you are not driving you may want to take a tour, check ahead with congierge of hotel they can help you set up stuff ahead of time.

Go onto www.blazeonline.com/wls as there are support groups for Victoria listed there and post that you will be in town and see if people maybe will meet you for coffee or lunch,.

Dr, R is fantastic he did my surgery in February 3rd, Ive lost 80 lbs so far, still quite a ways to go though,

Have you kept an eating/exercise journal he will tell you its key to your weight loss, write down your questions, tell him exactly how your weight has affected your life, be specific, tell him anything you have tried to lose weight, and what you are doing now to help yourself after surgery.
Do you have the book Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies, it is a must and I have referred back to it many many times. Advocate, Advocate for yourself.  Keep all your receipts for taxes, food, hotels, etc any out of pocket expenses, airfares.

Suzanne
Ruby_Trout
on 6/20/09 4:13 pm - Canada
Hi Suzanne,

I am not sure if you are aware that Dr. R will soon be replaced by a new doc who is supposed to arrive PDQ.  I have heard that some patients have had their appointments rescheduled until after the new doc's arrival so it might be really wise to double check that date with Kara.  I know, short notice. 
By the way, the Laurel Pointe Inn has fabulous spa activities!  Check them out!

Ruby Trout 

petite_jolie
on 6/21/09 3:46 am - Canada
I knew that he was getting replaced but I thought it wasn't supposed to be for a year! Well, I phoned about 10 days ago so I assume it's still on. Wouldn't it be awesome if Dr.R did my surgery for me before he left? Probably not though... I heard about the spa!!! I think I just may treat myself to a massage while I'm there. Bet it costs a small fortune though. And so worth it I'm sure!!! Thank you so much for answering me back everyone. I've been really super nervous about the whole trip. I haven't been on a plane for over 13 years. SENDING LOVE TO YOU ALL!!!!!

suzanneb
on 6/21/09 4:41 am - North Vancouver, Canada

I believe when I seen him a month and a half ago Dr. R  said he was staying til August or September, the new surgeon starts early August unless its changed since I seen him early May.
Make sure you ask Dr. R when you see him if it will be him or his replacement doing the surgery.

My understanding is the replacement surgeon has been doing this surgery back east and has a family.

Suzanne
Laurie D.
on 6/21/09 8:05 am - Victoria BC, Canada
Hi, I had my surgery on June 2nd with Dr. R and he is amazing! I can't say enough things about him. He is very supportive, but he is wants to know his patients are as serious about the surgery as he is. I had my appt with him for followup the other day, and he mentioned that he would be there till August or even after as he has administrative duties as well to attend to.

He mentioned his replacement is a very nice person and very capabable to take on his patients.
Like the others have said, he likes to know that you are actively working on weightloss, he is BIG into Aqua fitness, and keeping a journal of what you eat and how you are working towards this goal that you have.

Good luck, I live in Victoria and it is the most beautiful place. You are coming at an amazing time of year, all the flowers are out and there is lots to see if you are coming for a few days. We have support groups here, they meet on I believe the 3rd Saturday of the month, and every 2nd Tuesday. check the website given to you for blazeonline and there you will see the schedule.

Good luck, hope all goes well.

start - 262lbs - current - 220lbs -
current inches lost (overall) 60 and Feeling great!
goal = 160lbs 

petite_jolie
on 6/21/09 8:34 am - Canada
How many days a week does he want us to do Aquafit? My friend is really looking forward to going to Buschard Gardens. I want to do some shopping. I am staying 2 extra days to do some sight seeing while I'm there. Thank you.

Laurie D.
on 6/22/09 5:20 am - Victoria BC, Canada
Your friend will LOVE butchard Gardens it's very beautiful. I believe any commitment to Aquafit you do is more than not doing anything to improve your situation. He likes to hear you are working towards your goal.

It will be nice to have a couple of extra days here, you are staying at a nice place, there are lots of places to walk from there and easy to get to town.

Good luck and have fun while visiting. :)

start - 262lbs - current - 220lbs -
current inches lost (overall) 60 and Feeling great!
goal = 160lbs 

Lena S.
on 6/21/09 4:50 am - abbotsford bc, Canada
Also check out www.WLSforum.net as there are tonnes of members in the Victoria area on there.
Lena
Abbotsford BC

petite_jolie
on 6/22/09 10:45 pm - Canada
Thank you all for your responses!!! I am leaving this afternoon for Victoria and definitely feel better equipped to go. I hope everyone has a great week. Sending you love and well wishes. I will post when I get back!!!

Most Active