Will MSP Cover this?

ShariOlsen
on 6/17/09 11:39 am - Surrey, Canada
Hi, I am trying to find out if MSP will cover the lap band surgery,and how do I go about it. 
      Thanks Shari
Ruby_Trout
on 6/17/09 4:19 pm - Canada
Hi Shari,

No, MSP does not cover the lap band.  It does, however, cover RNY and the vertical sleeve.  There are three doctors working out of two offices who perform bariatric surgery in Victoria.  Victoria is pretty much the destination location for bariatrics in Western Canada.  Dr. Brad Amson does do the lap band procedure on a self-pay basis.  I believe that it costs just under $16,000 once all is said and done. 

Other than this site, you might want to check out www.bb.wlsforum.net or www.blazeonline.com .  Both of these sites are great for information and support and are somewhat more active than this forum.  

Best of luck, 

Caralee 

Ruby Trout 

ShariOlsen
on 6/18/09 4:38 am - Surrey, Canada
I'll look into that . Thanks so much. Shari
Pattt
on 6/26/09 2:38 am - Canada
Hi,
I tried everything to get MSP to cover the lap band procedure, right down to phoning the Minister of health Services and the answer is no.  Apparently some of the private health plans cover the hospital stay.  I am with Pacific Blue Cross and they wouldn't pay.  The procedure cost me $13,100 by Dr. W. Leung in Surrey.  One encouraging thing (but unfortunately too late for me) is that the MSP told me that Alberta pays for this procedure and that MSP would probably start covering it after it came out of the 'experimental' stage.
Pattt
Most Active