Attending a support group meeting?

Laurie D.
on 4/22/09 2:52 am, edited 4/23/09 6:39 am - Victoria BC, Canada
Hi everyone, I'm due to have my surgery on June 2nd... Excited? YES!
What I wanted to know is....when joining a support group, did you join before your surgery, or
attend the meetings afterwards?  thanks
suzanneb
on 4/22/09 11:56 am - North Vancouver, Canada

Most people go before their surgery, or even before their first appt with a bariatric surgeon so they can learn a lot about the surgeries, have the support and encouragement from others.

You will have a lot of questions and support groups are a great place to get that information as well as the websites, and the book Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies, it has absolutely everything in there you want to know.

I had my surgery Roux-En-Y  Feb 3, 2009 with Dr Rusnak and there were a lot of questions I had.

Suzanne
Ruby_Trout
on 4/22/09 4:11 pm - Canada

Suzanne,

Did you get to speak to Dr. Rusnak before surgery?  I mean on the day of surgery.  Thanks. 

Ruby Trout 

suzanneb
on 4/22/09 4:37 pm - North Vancouver, Canada

Yes I did get to speak to Dr. Rusnak on the day of surgery, I was waiting in a holding area cant remember what it was called but he came in and asked if I had any concerns and how I was.

I think he is a fantastic surgeon, and his calmness and the way he explained everything to me, put my mind at ease.  He took the time with me and didn't rush when talking to me, any questions I had he would answer.  He cares so much and even afterwards when I left the hospital and stayed in Victoria for three more days he gave me his cell phone number in case I had any problems.  I seen him a week after surgery as he asked that I would just to make sure no problems before I headed back to the mainland.

Suzanne
Laurie D.
on 4/23/09 2:17 am - Victoria BC, Canada
Hi, I have my surgery date for June 2nd and thanks for asking that question online as I was also wondering if Dr Rusnak will see me before surgery too.

How are you doing after surgery now?

take care, Laurie
suzanneb
on 4/23/09 2:51 am - North Vancouver, Canada

Hi Laurie

I am 11 weeks out of surgery this week, and I was 380 lbs at time of surgery and I am now 316, so I have lost 64 lbs in 11 weeks.  Key is to start exercising ahead of time and get into a routine of it, and make some changing in your eating habits if only small ones before surgery.  Long term to keep the weight off these two things have to happen exercise, and eating changes.

I have already had a couple of plateaus and this is normal where for a time few weeks the weight stops coming off, its just your body adjusting to losing the weight.  Also the key thing is to get enough protein 60g a day, take the vitamins and get enough water, 64 oz.  I drink crystal lite because it counts as water and I cant drink water alone.

Hope this has helped.

Suzanne

Laurie D.
on 4/23/09 6:36 am - Victoria BC, Canada
Hi Suzanne, thanks for the note.

I know I have been thinking all different things, should I do this or should I start doing this?
I know I should be doing a bit more to get in the swing of things. I have bad hips and a bad foot currently (due to weight) and it's difficult to walk or things like that. I know I should do aqua exercise and I plan to go to that as it will be a good start, just it's not worked out with the times at the pool as I work all day and when I am off classes have finished. I know a new set of times are due to start so I am hopeful this will work out better... It sounds like an excuse and I've always had many of those... but i just need to get on it.

I am going to go to a support group meeting hopefully this coming Tuesday in my area. I don't know why I have put off going because I was nervous. I can be kinda shy at times. But I know I have to go so I've made a commitment to myself that I need to do this.

Having people to chat with, really does help to get that bit of a pus too.]

did you have Dr Rusnak? thats who I am having. He seems very nice.

take care, you are doing all the right things!!

talk to you soon, Laurie
suzanneb
on 4/23/09 7:26 pm - North Vancouver, Canada
Hi Laurie

I would really encourage you to go to the pool, it is so much easier on our bodies because the water supports are body, I wasnt able to walk as much as I would like to because I have a bad back so the water was the best place for me, no pressure on my joints or back.  Some pools also have what is called a river run where you can walk against the water I havent done it but it is quite the workout.

I did have Dr. Rusnak as my surgeon I like that he took the time with me.

I know its hard to go to meetings when you dont know anyone trust me a lof of us feel that way, it takes us out of our comfort zone but everyone at those meetings has been in the same place when they all started, and everyone is so welcoming and encouraging,. and supportive, you will be glad you went once you go.  They talk about long term these support groups will help you keep the weight off once youve had the surgery.

Take care,  any questions please don't hesitate to ask

Suzanne
Laurie D.
on 4/25/09 10:05 am - Victoria BC, Canada
Hi Suzanne,

thanks so much for the note! It's always nice to hear I'm not the only one with the same fears or challenges... lol.

I plan on going to the support meetings this week. Tuesday I believe is the next one in my area.
I also went to the pool today to find out about aquatic classes. The next one available is next Sat and my daughter who is here for another 6 wks or so before returning to Australia is going to come with me (something we can do together) so that will be nice.

I really am pleased I have Dr Rusnak, he is a very nice and calm man. He's been very understanding and I hear he is so nice thru the whole process.

thanks again, hope to talk to you again soon. Laurie
Most Active