Just back from Mexico where I had VSG surgery

tsegal
on 1/26/09 10:16 am - Canada
I had surgery in Mexicali with Dr. Aceves one week ago today. Everything went very well and I am recovering very fast. If anyone has any questions about the surgery I would be happy to talk to you. I was lucky enough to meet two other women who had been to Mexico (one to Alvarez, one to Aceves) and it really helped to make my decision (and calm my husband down). I just couldn't stomach (no pun intended) the long wait to have it done in B.C. or even in Seattle by a surgeon that is actually not as experienced in this procedure as Aceves. I am by no means pushing Aceves on anyone else but he did fine by me...
(deactivated member)
on 1/27/09 7:06 am - North Vancouver, Canada
Hi and welcome back!
That's why I went to Mexico too, I did not think I could survive the wait time.  I was having trouble walking and felt I needed fast action.  As long as people do their research, there's nothing wrong with going out of province or country.
Happy to see you on the losing side!

g.g.
on 1/28/09 3:00 am - Canada
i am going to have this surgery done in early februrary with dr. amson in victoria. nervous and excited. was wondering if you have any advice on the immediate before and immediate after..? are you up and about? how long did you stay in hospital? any regrets? any tips or suggestions is appreciated. congratulations on your surgery and your excitement, it is encouraging! thanks, gg
SMR
on 1/29/09 10:15 am - Canada
Hi: I had my surgery with Dr. Amson on September 5/08 and has had no problems whatsoever.

I had my surgery at noon on the 5th and left the hospital at noon on Sunday, Sept. 7.
I could have gone home on the Saturday but honestly did not feel well enough to go anyway.  Sunday was much better.  I really did not get up on the Friday after surgery and only to the bathroom on the Saturday.  Sunday morning was much better so that why they checked my out that day. 

Regrets - none, although the Friday night after the surgery my first thought was "what have I done".  I have only had that thought one other day shortly after I came home.  Would I do it again, yes, in a heartbeat.  

I didn't have as much to lose as some patients and have not really been losing it fast which is fine with me.  I have lost 60 lbs and have about 30 to go.  The only plateau I hit was early January and didn't lose anything for about 3 weeks but now have started losing again.

Frustrations:  Yes, not worth it for me to go out to eat unless I am eating off someone else's plate or able to take it home.  This may change in time as I am only going to be 6 months out on February 5. 

Before you have your final "great meal" just remember not to do it the night before your prep. Just remember what goes in has to come out.  You butt end will be sore after the prep.  I used baby wipes which really did help ease some discomfort. (I have hemorrhoids). 
Don't bother taking too much to the hospital with you, you really won't feel like eating very much.
When you go home make sure you have things like sugar free apple sauce, clear soup or broth, yogurt to name a few.  Make sure you take your vitamins, very important.

Hope this helps.  Good luck. Shirl
tsegal
on 1/29/09 10:48 pm - Canada
I am glad someone replied who went to amson! I don't know what he requires pre-op or post-op. I went on a low carb diet beforehand for a week but no bowel prep was needed for me. I think that is only for the RNY. Our intestines are not messed with so they don't have to be empty. I was out of it the day of surgery with lots of pain meds but the next day I was getting dressed and walking around- a little foggy but definately ok. The day after I could walk all over the town I had the surgery in. I left the hospital that evening. I have been living my life very normally since I got back home except now I am exercising more (just walking) and for the last couple of days have had afternoon naps. I do not have any regrets at all. I know my weight was going to become a major health issue so this is far better than anything i could accomplish on my own.
Make sure you do your research about the meds you will need and the vitamins because I had to tell my family Dr. what to prescribe for me. Maybe your Dr. is more knowledgable about this surgery but mine isn't. You can also ask your Dr. for a referral to a dietition to help you monitor your weight loss. I also paid for a bone density test before i went in for surgery so that I would have a base line to see if anything changes over the next year. there is some evidence that some people will suffer from some bone loss with this surgery. I think if it is monitored closely you can get on the alendronate drugs that will reverse this. My Dr. did not want to give it to me as a preventative measure though. Just as well- i find the Ursodiol is giving me a few side effects . The Nexium is fine though. I am also taking liquid calcium citrate , iron,   multivitamin, and B12 strips (that melt on your tongue).
You are welcome to pm me for my phone number if you want to talk on the phone or get together.
g.g.
on 1/30/09 6:00 am - Canada
Thank you ladies both!
I wonder if I need to do the bowel prep or if Sheri just said it by force of habit!?!?
It would be lovely to not have to do it as I have to travel by bus and ferry the day before wich is also bowel prep day. Unfortunatedly, I have no other option. Again, thanks for answering my questions, I will be in touch soon.
Best regards,
gg
PSoftGirl
on 8/25/09 9:07 am - Alpharetta, GA
On the bowel prep issue:  This is just what I was thinking.  I have to do one in two days - they have me taking 14 doses of Miralax and 4 doses of Dulcolax!  Sounds Insane.......I would rather just do a Sal****er Flush Thursday and Friday morning - surgery isn't unitl 3pm on Friday.
Most Active