not sure on what to do

lbol
on 10/10/08 2:12 pm - nanaimo, Canada
So I know that I have not posted on here in awhile but have had a lot of stuff going on with hubbie and so forth which has made it hard to get online at all.

I am kind of sitting on the fence on a problem and was hoping to get some input from other members on what to do...
I was talking to my family doctor the other day and we were talking about me having surgery and she told me that she is not too keen on me having the RNY and would rather see me go for the Sleeve. I have done lots of research on both surgeries I myself have been leaning towards the sleeve too. I asked my doctor why she would like to see me go for the Sleeve and not the RNY and she told me with the complications that might arise with me in surgery she does not want to have anything bad happen.
When I saw Dr Tang back in july 2008 he told me right out that he thinks that the Sleeve might be something for me to consider since I have had to c-sections that have produced a lot of scar tissue which might make it hard to get to my small intestines which would mean that he could not do it laproscopily. My family doctor said that this is why she feels that having the Sleeve would be better.
So my faily doctor said that I need to talk to Dr Tanga about doing the Sleeve.
When I called the office about a month ago about finding out about a respirologist they told me that Dr Tang ahs me down for RNY surgery so I am not sure if I need to make an appt to talk with Dr Tang about doing the Sleeve and not the RNY?Huh
What should I do? Do I call the office which I know they hate us calling to make an appt to see Dr Tang or what do I do?
I have an appt with Dr Clark (respirologist) on June 2nd 2009 and got the full pulmonary function work up for that appt so after I see her then I have to have the scope done.
Has anyone else on here had the Sleeve done? I am trying to find as much info as possible on the Sleeve and have foudn lots already but want more info. Can someone tell me where I can get more info,please?
On a brighter note I got weighed at my family doctors office on monday and it said that I was down to 320lbs which I was 334lbs when I saw Dr Tang back in july 2009. So I am down 14 lbs from what the scale says which I can see somewhat but not really.

well thanks for reading this and thanks to those who answer in advance.

lisa Smiley
justfornow
on 10/10/08 3:13 pm - Smithers, Canada
Hey Lisa,

I had the sleeve in Mexico. I chose to do this so I could have the surgery immediately. I'm pretty happ with me decision. Because I didn't do the RNY, I can't compare too much, but here's what I can say.
I had the surgery on September 1st and I've lost 30 lbs.  I had it done laparospically, and I'm happy with the way it is healing. I do have a very small stomach now. I can eat very little. I am still on mushy food, and I'm supposed to be for another week or two.  ****il the 22nd, officially). Nonetheless, I try once in awhile to eat something 'real', and I get a major attack of 'dumping syndrome'. I previously thought this went with the RNY, but it turns out you get it with the sleeve too. I suffered from a very swollen 'entrance' to my stomach, which caused everything to get sort of 'stuck' there. This also contributed to a lot of 'reflux' type pain.
I find that each person has their own reason for choosing one or the other type of surgery. I chose the sleeve because I still wanted my stomach, but I wanted it to need less. In this respect, it was very successful.
I personally, obviously, would recommend the VSG.
This likely wasn't very helpful, but if you have any specific questions you would like to ask, I'd gladly answer!!!
Tara
lbol
on 10/11/08 1:38 am - nanaimo, Canada
Thank you so much for your answer. I think that after doing all my research that I would like to have the RNY but I still want to talk to Dr Tang to make sure that is what he is willing to do.
For those of you that had the srugery Sleeve here in canada, did you have to do all the same tests that you have to do for the RNY?
I kind of concerned about the whole dumping aspect as I know that it can be different for everyone. I know that part of the reason that I am leaning towards the sleeve is also the malabsorbtion part with the RNY. I have no gull bladder and I know that there are some more complications that can occur with the RNY but I know that this can be true with the Sleeve too.
Where would I find a listing of what I can and can't eat after surgery and what I have to start out with?

thanks
lisa :)
(deactivated member)
on 10/12/08 3:19 am - Victoria, Canada

Hi Lisa,

The food plan that I chose to follow is from Cornell University Medical Hospital and is for gastric sleeve patients.

http://www.cornellweightlosssurgery.org/pdf/dietary_guidelin es_sleeve_gastrectomy.pdf

It has great info and I consulted it often during my first month.

I told Dr. Tang I would be using it and he was all for it when I told him it was from Cornell.  The guidelines that I remember Dr. Tang giving to me were take a multi vitamin once a day and cut up my meat in really small pieces.  :)

I am not 100% sure about whether the same tests are done for both RNY'ers and Sleevers.  I do think that the surgeon requests tests based on a case by case basis rather than a blanket policy.  I had the scope and saw the endocronologist and the respirologest and a dietician and psychologist (had been seeing her for a while)

I chose the sleeve over RNY because I believe that there will be less likelyhood of complications/health issues further on down the road.  The dumping thing was not what I wanted to do...didn't want to feel punished or fearful about what I ate and the malabsorptive piece did not work for me either as I feel it would not be the healthier way to go out of the two surgeries.  Dr. Tang does seem toward doing the sleeve if he thinks there may be difficulties with moving a persons intestines around because of previous surgeries. I had my gallbladder out in the late 70's.

Good luck with your decision and feel free to ask more questions.

Janice B

lbol
on 10/12/08 9:38 am - nanaimo, Canada
Hi Janice,

Thank you so much for the infoformation. I have copied and pasted the food plan guide into a document onto my computer.
I had my gullbladder out when I was 19 yrs old due to it rotting and I will be 30 yrs old on October 15th....lol. Not looking forwards to turning 30 yrs old.
I think that after I talked to Dr Tang on my 1st appt he made me think about the choice of the sleeve surgery. I was set on getting the RNY surgery but I had done some research on the sleeve but after he said that he might have to cut me open and might be complications due to the scar tissue from the c-sections I think that the Sleeve surgery is my best choice.
Is it true that you can eat more variety of things after the sleeve surgery compared to the RNY???

thanks again
(deactivated member)
on 10/13/08 5:46 am - Victoria, Canada
Can sleevers eat a wider variety of foods compared to RNY'ers?  Good question.  I don't really have an answer.   However, I do have an opinion or belief that as a sleever I will not have as much of a chance of having issues about what I can and can't eat.  I believe I will have less trouble with food getting stuck, foamies, throwing up etc and  less chance of strictures; although I have read that some sleevers with smaller bougies (32) get strictures more often than the ones with larger bougies (36).  I also think that most wls patients, no matter what surgery they have chosen, can eat a wide variety of things the further out from surgery they get.

I think my beliefs stem from having read posts from both RNY'ers and sleevers and seeing alot less complications on the sleeve board compared to RNY board.  I don't recall doing any research/coimparisons that focused on the different varieties of food that could be eaten.

Take Care
Janice B
Storygram
on 10/14/08 4:52 pm - Prince George, Canada
VSG on 10/16/07 with
I will be one year out from having the VSG in a few more days.  At first I was referred to Dr. Amson in Victoria for the RNY....  after doing research, I decided rather quickly that I wanted to go just for restriction as opposed to any malabsorption.  My husband has lived with malabsorption for 20 years from cancer surgery... and I totally respect the importance of my intestines.

I chose the VSG because it seemed right for me.  I wanted something that would work 'with' me, not against me.  I take a multi-vitamin daily (but I did this before surgery too), the only addition is that I take B12 due to the loss of intrinsic factor with the stomach removal.

I am thankful everyday for my VSG....  I live a normal and active life and I eat a balanced diet.  I could have lost weight faster than I have by making different food choices, but personally and with the support of my PCPs I have taken the time to go slowly and to learn how different foods affect my sense of fullness and my appetite... what foods increase or decrease cravings.

I cannot stress enough the importance of doing your research.  No one has to live with your choice but you, make sure you are confident in your choice.

Would I do it again.... yes, in a heartbeat.  I wish I could have done it twenty years ago.  I have three children and one of them struggles with the same appetite I fought for so many years... if he gets to a point where surgery will help him from dealing with obesity like I have... I will support him 100%.

The VSG has allowed me to live a far more 'normal' life than I have ever been able to live before.

Good luck in making your decision!  I am so excited that the VSG is finally being done in BC... its about time!

23 lbs lost pre op.
lbol
on 10/15/08 1:40 am - nanaimo, Canada
Hi,
Thank you so much for posting in return to my post. I think that after doing more research and reading the posting on here that the VSG is more for me then the RNY.
I will be calling Dr Tang's office today to get a second appt with him to discuss the VSG since he has putme down after my 1st appt for the RNY and after talking with my doctor, my husband, research and chattting with all you lovely people that the VSG is for me.
I have decided since I am 320lbs that my goal to start is going to be to get dow to 180lbs and then if I can lose more then great. I weighed 180 lbs when I graduated high school and  even though I knew that I was on the heavier side that I was way more happier then then now.
Thank you for all your continued support and I will keep you posted on how things go with the phone call to Dr Tang and as my journey goes along.
With today being my birthday I have decided that now I am 30 yrs old I need to get healthier even though I have been trying but to do it for myself and my kids since they are only 2 1/2 yrs old and 4 1/2 yrs old.

Most Active