Sleeve 1 month surgiversary

(deactivated member)
on 9/18/08 12:03 pm, edited 9/18/08 12:06 pm - Victoria, Canada

It has been 4 weeks since my surgery with Dr. Tang.  I am doing very well.  Have lost 29 pounds so far and a few inches off my bust, waist n hips.  I feel so much lighter which makes it so much easier to get my exercise in.  I have been walking and or swimming 6 days a week.  I have decreased my insulin to 8-10 units with meals.  Prior to surgery it was 40-45.  I can eat approx 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup of food and have been eating the following without difficulty.

1 Scrambled egg with feta cheese-my favorite for the month
Protein powder with fruit and So Good soy beverage (yummy stuff)
Chicken breast roasted in foil wrap with spices...nice and moist.
Canned tuna...the flavored tuna's are a great little product  :)
Smoked salmon
Tilapia, Haddock, Shrimp, Salmon
Protein bars
Well done brocolli, squash, turnip, carrots, cauliflower etc
Ripe fruit
applesauce
s/f popsicles  yummy
Olives
hummous-makes my stomach a little gassy though
Ham lunch meat
Hard cheeses-havarti light, old cheddar
Beans-kidney, garbonzo, etc
Tomatoes, tomato sauce
Soups

It is a struggle to get all the water into me and to not drink after I have eaten.  I used to think it would not be a problem cause I never drank with my meals but what I did was drink right after them and so it is difficult to curb that habit. I find that if I set the timer it helps me to wait til it is time to drink.

I developed an intolerance for dairy after my surgery and have not been able to eat cottage cheese, yogurt or milk.  Today I purchased some lactose free milk and am thinking of getting some lactaid pills just so I can eat yogurt again...don't really like the soy yogurt.  Too soyeeeeee.

I have tons of energy and feel so much better than I did before surgery.  It really does seem like some kinda mircle cure.  Now, that being said,  I struggle daily with making the right choices about what to eat and when to eat.  My head hunger is alive and well. I have noticed that my ability to stay in a patient, kind mood is slipping and I have been rude to a few people.  Not the kind of behaviour I like.  I know it's because I am stressed over my food, without my food etc etc so I have decided to get some anti depressants  Wellbutrin XL and see if that smooths out the rough edges for me. 

That's it for now.  Hope everyone is well and being kind to themselves.

Hugs  Janice

bear25
on 9/18/08 12:39 pm - chilliwack, Canada
Hey there, i'm glad your doing so good. I have heard that the emotional problems are quite common after surgery. It's not something that i'm looking forward too. I'm glad that your right on top of this though so it doesn't get too bad. It sounds like so far your journey is one of learning and that's good. Take care of yourself and please keep us updated. Elisa
cherrypop
on 9/21/08 12:34 pm - Canada
 I'm glad your doing great!!! I'm  Italian and I know I;m going to miss my pasta and breads but
like they say food won't taste as good as thinner feels
hopeing one day to believe that lol
hugs
Cherri
justfornow
on 9/21/08 4:11 pm - Smithers, Canada
Wow, Janice, you sound like you're really on top of things.
As far as the emotions go, I'm so there. I nearly lost it on a grocery store clerk today. I went off my anti-depressants when I had my surgery, and haven't bothered getting a new prescription because I was thinking that I wouldn't need them any more. Perhaps I was wrong. I am definitaly edgier! The store clerk might even have said I was downright mean.
But I'm tired, and stressed, I am a working single mom with no supports in the town I live in. Food was my friend. Now I don't have that to fall back on-or worse, it's something else I have to be responsible with.
My stomach hurts. Everything I eat makes me nauseous. And I have no 'spare' time to work out-so I try to take my daughter out on the bike-but attention span is low.
Maybe I need to go back on my anti-depressants.
Tara
(deactivated member)
on 9/21/08 11:09 pm - Victoria, Canada
Hey Tara, thanks for sharing how you're doing, it makes me feel less alone.  My thinking around the anti depressants was 1.  it's only temporary and 2.  I have this old belief that says I have to suffer and must just grit my teeth and ride it out BUT THAT'S NOT TRUE.  A better, kinder, more loving belief is that I don't have to suffer and that the best thing I could do is to make sure that I feel good physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually.  I know that I am at a difficult time in life right now....giving up my overeating and my carbs..all the stuff that used to soothe me...and even thought I intellectually know about other ways to soothe myself I have not practiced them enough right now to have them be as effective as the anti depressant.

I say do something kind and loving for yourself and go back on your anti depressants. 

PS: the research I did about them helped me to decide on Wellbutrin XL...less chance of weight gain. My doctor agreed with me. 

Take Care

Janice

lbol
on 10/10/08 2:17 pm - nanaimo, Canada
Congrats on doing so well since your surgery. I have been on Wellbutrin XL for almost 3 years now due to depression and without it I would be not myself. I went on it just after my only brother was killed in a car accident and it has helped me out so much. I have talked with my family doctor and she told me that she is keeping me on the Wellbutrin XL for awhile after my surgery.

Congrats once again

lisa  :)
(deactivated member)
on 10/11/08 10:39 am - Victoria, Canada
Hi Lisa,  Thanks for sharing about your brother's passing.  I think it would be wise to stay on the Wellbutrin for a while after your surgery too.  Which surgery are you having?
lbol
on 10/11/08 2:34 pm - nanaimo, Canada
Hi,
It has been hard to deal with my brother passing even though he passed in 2005 but I was pregnant with my son when he passed and my son was born 2 days before my brothers 25th b-day so it was a hard year. He was my only sibling so that has made it hard too but I know that things happen and there is a reason why he was taken from my family and I so soon. :)
My doctor feels that I need to be on Wellbutrin XL for awhile and that is fine with me. She wants me to stay on it even after surgery until my life is under control and my depression but I am working on that slowly.
I am hoping to talk to Dr Tang for a 2nd appt once I call the office to get the Sleeve surgery done as my doctor feels that it is the best way for me and so do I. Dr Tang had some concerns about doing the RNY due to so much scar tissue from my 2 c-sections so I am thinking that I will listen to my doctor and go for the sleeve.
I am wanting to find more info on the sleeve and what your foods are like after since I have done tons of research on the RNY but not enough at least I feel on the Sleeve.

Lisa :)
Most Active