British Columbia Association of Bariatric Advocates

Kris Greene
on 9/15/08 3:46 am - Victoria, Canada
Because obesity is a serious health problem.

Because access to medical treatment for obesity is inadequate.

Because other provinces are doing better than we are.

Because removal of the redundant skin following massive weight loss is NOT cosmetic.

Because those seeking treatment for obesity need a voice.

Join the British Columbia Association of Bariatric Advocates!

Our mission statement:
* To advocate for better funding for/better access to bariatric surgery (including adjustable banding procedures).
* To advocate for better funding by MSP of post-weight loss reconstructive plastic surgery.
Education/awareness of the issues facing people suffering from morbid obesity.

www.bcaba.net

Check us out-- the website is up and running!!!
bbwvixen
on 9/17/08 3:06 pm - Surrey, Canada
What exaclty is the $25 membership fee for?
Kris Greene
on 9/18/08 6:27 am - Victoria, Canada
Hi there :)

Lobbying costs money.  The membership fee is to cover the costs associated with Lobbying.  Up to this point we have been advocating on more of a local level, all of the expenses associated coming out of pocket (as I'm sure it has with you as well).  Now that the Society is set up "we" can do more on a Provincial front on behalf of the Society.   Those costs include mailouts, advertising, printing, website maintenance/hosting, travelling for speaking engagements with Government/Media, etc. 

We hope that our voice as a group will be loud enough to get our Government to take notice and make some positive changes for those that are still waiting for Bariatric surgery of all types (band included), as well as for those that need reconstructive surgery. 

For most of us on the Board, none of this will benefit us as we have all already had our wls',  and have already done the self pay route for reconstructive surgery, but perhaps it will help those that follow us. 

We want a chance to make a difference, to pave the way for others so that their wls journey is less rocky than ours, and that there are more choices available to them to make their lives whole again.
bear25
on 9/18/08 2:22 pm - chilliwack, Canada
Kris i think this is an excellent idea, i already have my sign-up sheet and after my surgery expenses are over i'm all in.Elisa
Kris Greene
on 9/18/08 2:34 pm - Victoria, Canada

that's fantastic Elisa - thanks for the support :) 

Most Active