Janice

bear25
on 9/1/08 3:30 pm - chilliwack, Canada
Hi i was just wondering how you are feeling and if your starting to get the hang of your new stomach? Hope all is well. Elisa
(deactivated member)
on 9/3/08 12:22 am - Victoria, Canada

Hello Elisa, Thank you for asking about me.  Surprised the hell outta me to see my name "in lights"  LOL. 

Physically I am feeling pretty good and am still figuring out my new stomach.  It has been challenging deciding what to eat at each meal.  It has to be soft, have lots of protein, be satisfying and stay in my tummy a long time.   The satisfaction level depends on how well the nurturing, loving adult me can convince my food addict  that eating healthy is the best way.  I can eat about 1/2 a cup of food at each meal and have not had any difficulty with drinking.  I have no aversion to protein shakes but I have become lactose intolerant.   I have been out to a few restaurants already and at one of them they had no white fish except for cod in batter (yuk) so I  ordered a scrambled egg with feta cheese and some sliced tomatoes. It was very good but I could only eat about 1/2 my egg and 1 tomato slice.  I also had a very yummy salmon fillet (managed to eat about 1/2 of a 4 oz portion) at Moxies.  I am keeping track of my food and exercise on Spark People.

I have not thrown up from anything I have eaten.  During the first week I did get a runny nose alot but that seems to have stopped now. My full signal seems to be when I start feeling like I have a lump in my throat.   I am using small bowls and side plates to eat from and my little non stick frying pan has been one of the best things I bought in preparation for this change.   

I am spending alot more time listening to my body and looking after myself food wise and exercise wise.  Exactly what I wanted to get from this surgery.  I am feeling slimmer and lighter.

I am still taking insulin with each meal but that has decreased from 40 units to between 8-10 units and will be seeing the endo this Thursday to discuss future needs.  I am still taking my blood pressure and cholesterol pills and have added Pantaloc to the mix..  Dr. Tang told me to take a multivitamin once a day and I also take Vitamin B, C and D, Calcium, Benifibre, Garlic, Fish Oil, Magnesium w Zinc and am heading to the vitamin shop today to get some MSM, Selenium, Biotin and maybe some Vitamin K.  I have been told that the bodies ability to absorb vitamins and minerals decreases alot after we turn 45.  I am 49 and have decided that although the sleeve surgery requires less diligence around vits etc than the RNY or DS,  it would be prudent for me to help my body be the best it can be at this stage in my life.  

If anyone has any questions I would be happy to answer them.

Janice B

bear25
on 9/3/08 3:58 am - chilliwack, Canada
Hi there it sounds as if your starting to figure things out. Im glad that so far things are going good. And less insulin isn't that what this surgery is all about, getting healthier. I'm so happy for you and wish you all the best as you continue to learn new things. Elisa
justfornow
on 9/16/08 4:25 pm - Smithers, Canada
I'm just wondering whose guidance you went with for starting solid food, and when exactly you started. I'm on my liquid diet right now, and I am struggling with that even. I can't imagine being ready for solids ever! I think I too am becoming lactose intolerant now. Every time I go to drink a protien drink, I get, or almost get, the 'dumping syndrome'. Very challanging!
(deactivated member)
on 9/16/08 11:12 pm - Victoria, Canada

Hello  :) 

Dr. Tang, told me to stay on soft foods for 3-4 weeks.  One of the first foods I ate after surgery was a scrambled egg.  It went down fine and I had it sometime in my first or second week.  I made homemade vegetable soup, pureed it, lived on that for a few days. Made jello with added protien powder. That was good too.

Are you on full liquids?  Have you tried mixing the protein powder into jello?  Your tummy may still be very swollen and could take several more weeks to heal. 

I am coming up on my 1 month out soon and feel okay about adding more hard type foods to my tummy but not beef or pork yet.  I have tried some chopped up very moist chicken breast which went down fine.  I have been eating tuna and white fish for a few weeks now.

What kind of protein powders have you tried?

Janice

justfornow
on 9/17/08 8:01 am - Smithers, Canada
Oh,
I've tried several different kinds of protein powder. If I mix just a tiny bit in with water and milk, I'm pretty okay. But if I try it straight, I'm hooped. The brands up here a pretty limited and aweful tasting. I can't wait to go south to buy some more palatable protein powders. I'm on full liquids. This is now my third week after surgery, and I can go to 'mushies' starting on the 23rd of sept. I'm sure I won't be ready. So you figure the stomache itself is swollen , and not just the entrance. That would make alot more sense. I would kill for a scrambled egg though. But I thin I'll wait 'til next week.
It just seems to me that everyone gets different advice from different surgeons. I was told clear liquids for one week after surgery, then full liquids for two weeks after that, then purees for one month after that-then start exploring normal food. But there seems to be so much 'full liquid' that I can't even handle yet-while I see others already sampling real foods. Boo hoo.
I've ordered a 'pre-digested protein' drink from a bariatric website in the US that's not a milk base so I hope that works better. Everyone who went to my surgeon too keeps talking aobut the 'protein bullet' but I can't seem to order it here. I may have to have someone down there send it to me.

Tara
sharonspence
on 9/17/08 11:23 am - Canada
Hi Tara

Iknow how you feel LOL at one point I felt one more protein
drink I`ll puke LOL. Do you have a Walmart there? Walmart
and London Drugs sell Whey Gourmet I found them the best tasting
I also went to a place that carries stuff for weight lifters and they
carry Whey Gourmet. Walmart also carries Whey Gourmet Juice powder. The
fruit punch was real good. Trying changing milk products.
I put my protein powder in milk, then used that in my pudding mix.
When it comes to food keep a diary of what you eat and how youfeel
Everyone is different. At first I could eat eggs, then I couldn`t now I can
it goes that way for alot of food you will learn whats best for you.
People always asked me was it worth it ? YES YES YES always
remember it is the end result we are going for. Keep up
the good work and remember we are here when things get tuff

Sharon
justfornow
on 9/17/08 2:30 pm - Smithers, Canada
Thanks Sharon,
When I was in Mexico they told me to go get stuff from Walmart. If there are flavours that are palatable I will try that out. No Walmart here, but I can stop at one in Prince George on my way South. I had really good luck for supper tonight. After the talk of the scrambled agg with Janice, I thought I'd try tofu (my two year old loves it!) so I added some tamari and it went down nice and smooth. So i blended some up and added it to my roasted red pepper soup and watered it all down and I was good to go! I feel so good getting some real protein into me! Not like a ton of it or anything, but  more than anything else, and without feeling like puking! Or going the other way!
You made the pudding suggestion, and Janice made the jello suggestion. Those both sound good.
The other food that I live off of right now is fruit popsicles, or yogurt and fruit popsicles. Calming on the stomach.
Most Active