New to all this...

MaureenB
on 8/7/08 8:28 am - Surrey, Canada
Hi all - I am just finding out about all of this. I have a couple of questions, specific to BC for one. Are any of the surgeries covered by MSP? If so, which ones? Second does anyone know what my chances are for qualifying for surgery if I have a BMI of only 35 but already have high blood pressure and Type II diabetes is rampant in my family although I don't have it yet. I'm 45 years old. Thanks for any help you can provide.
bear25
on 8/7/08 3:50 pm - chilliwack, Canada
Hi Maureen , welcome. The RNY is covered in B.C but the wait can be up to 4 years. I don't know about your BMI but i'm sure others could help you more. Another good site is wlsforum.com or victoriabariatricsurgery. Those have a lot more people and i'm sure someone could answer your questions. Good luck to you. Elisa
cherrypop
on 8/8/08 8:28 am - Canada
Hi maureen. my understanding is you have to have the co-mobities and your BMI of 35 to be a canidate,, if you don't have any then you have to have a BMI of 40..... I have heard some ppl have purposely gained wieight to be in the 40 BMI range which I think is a little harsh lol... thats like saying gain 40 lbs and then we can help you... as for me I have type2 diabetes and have had a heartattack in early 2007 ..thats when I found out I was diabetic too.... a year has passed and i'm fighting iwth my sugars since then....I'm 42 and have a BM of 35.5.... the funy thing is I'm heavier now than when this all happenned last year... infact I wouldn't qualify since my BMI was only 33. then........ figure that! Wishing you the best of luck!! Cherri
bbwvixen
on 8/27/08 4:14 pm - Surrey, Canada
Hello and welcome :)

I'm Suzanne and I'm in Surrey.
I'm 5'6 251lbs and my BMI is now 40

I started my journay about ten years ago and was on the waiting list to see Dr Cleator in Vancouver. After waiting almost two years, his office called me for a pre screening only to tell me that at 240lbs, I wasn't fat ENOUGH!!! I didn't know if I should laugh or cry. I gave up!!!!

About five years ago I heard of a doctor doing the surgery in Alberta and had my doctor try to refer me there.. Since I do have some of the co morbs he felt the surgery would help me.

The doctor from Alberta never even replyed and eventually I heard about Dr Amson. I actually referred a friend of mine to him named Kelli....she's lost something like 270 lbs there abouts I think.

I really thought long and hard and dealt with a lot of guilt because most of the people who are waiting for the surgery are 300+.

It took me 18 months to be able to see Dr Amson and at that time I was doing Nurryistem and had just lost 17lbs. He really seemd to think that I could do it on my own and I went home without another appointment.

Over the next year I lost 35lbs and gained it all back and then some. I decided that YES I do need and want this surgery and asked to get another appointment with Dr Amson. I see him on Wed, September 3.

So to anwer your questions, we are classified as *lightweights*, and yes we do qualify for the surgery. Gastric Bypass which Dr Amson does is covered by BC medical. If you opt for the lap band....it's not and I've heard it to be $15,000+

Yes, diabeties is one of the co morbs so the lower BMI I think is ok.

When I first started out to see him, mine was 37/38 and I was on high blood pressue meds.

Now it's 40/41 and I'm on high blood pressure meds, high cholestrol meds, and beta blockers for my tachycardia.

You need a referral from your GP and can expect to wait about 18 months to even SEE Dr Amson.

Is is NOT first come first done but rather who needs it first!

You may also want to look at getting a referral to Dr Tang (shares a office with Dr A) and Dr Rusnuck who was suppose to have retired but decided not too.

When I started my journay there was only Dr Amason.

Good luck :)

Alyson T.
on 8/29/08 2:34 am - Nanoose Bay, Canada
I am new to this as well. I currently live on Vancouver Island and saw Dr. Tang in Victoria in July. He told me that I could have the surgery in October. Then when I phoned his assistant to book my tests, they told me it would be a year at least until my tests to qualify could be completed. Hmmm.

Needless to say, I had already made up my mind to get the lapband and had the $ saved. So, I researched and ended up in Mexico and had the surgery on Monday of this week. I have been home for 2 days and I feel ok!  The surgery was much cheaper than here in Canada and the facilities were top notch!  There are plenty of places to get fills in Washington State and I will go back to Mexico in October for my first fill.

The great thing was that I did all my testing in Mexico the day before the surgery and it took all of 2 hours!! Something that could take up to a year in Canada...blows me away!

So, consider the trip to Mexico!
The Island Geterdone and get it lost girl.

Robyn H
on 10/15/08 6:01 pm - Canada
I have to agree with Alyson, I am off to Mexico as well. I am having gastric bypass on Nov 7th, a co-worker just returned from mexico having had the same surgery. She is doing wonderful and speaks highly of the care she recieved. The cost is very affordable and what I have read is tax deductable.
Most Active