Please help

hardly_home
on 7/6/08 9:56 pm - maple ridge, Canada
I was wondering what you wait time was for your surgery.. I'm just starting and trying to get as much info as I can. I live in Vancouver and cant find anyone that will do it, Unless I pay.. So I'm just hoping someone out there may know anyone or something that could help me start my journey. thanks kelly
(deactivated member)
on 7/7/08 2:41 am - Victoria, Canada
Hello Kelly, I have sent you an email and would like to say welcome to the community. There are alot of us in BC. I think the wait time is anywhere from 2-4 years on average...and there are some exceptions who get done before the 2 years and some who get done after the 4 years. Of course that's if you want to wait for surgery in BC. I have no idea about how long the wait would be if you chose to go to an Ontario surgeon. I think the wait for out of country is approx 3 - 6 months. I recommend that you go to Dr. Amson's website and read the message boards there. www.victoriabariatricsurgery.com Take Care Janice
tantan
on 7/14/08 6:31 am - South Surrey, Canada
HI Kelly, I was on a wait list to see Dr. Ansom for 2 years for a consultation. When I met him he was fabulous however at the time I was undecided on what I wanted to do. I know that then his sugery time was another 2+ years away for the gastric bypass. If I wanted to pay private for the band it would be around 6 months. But like I said I was undecided and didn't commit to anything. I wanted to do my research all of it before I made a decsion. My family doctor had just recieved an infromation package from Puget Sound Surgical Center and ironically they were travelling up to White Rock and Vancouver for a seminar, which I attended and fell in love with the staff. So real and honest. I met the surgeon in Bellingham and felt so comfortable to, told him honestly I was tossed in my descion what to do and they were so patient and gave me a list of people to contact which I did. I felt 100% reassured I was making the right choice to have the sleeve and went thru with it on May 29, 2008. Surgery was performed in Edmonds and alll my follow up care is in Bellingham where I see the nutritionist and random check ins with the doctor. Don't regret a thing!
hardly_home
on 7/14/08 4:05 pm - maple ridge, Canada
Wow, I know i was booked 2 times for surgery a few years ago, but wasnt really ready, and now that i am it takes forever.. If you dont mind me asking what is the sleeve and how does it work, I just I could just google it and read up.. I am so proud of you for going through with it, you must look and feel amazing.. Good for you!! Hope you stay in touch.. Wishing you sunshine and smiles all the way!! hugz kelly
(deactivated member)
on 7/22/08 6:05 am - North Vancouver, Canada
When I find out about the wait, I just couldn't do it. So I decided to use my line of credit and went to Mexico. I had a date within 3 weeks of contacting them. I am now 10 days out and have lost 21 lbs. For me, it was the best decision I ever made.
jmikolayczyk
on 10/3/08 4:19 pm - Canada

I had my surgery with Dr. Amson who is located in Victoria, BC.    My total wait time for surgery was 2 years and 8 months.     I know that after my first appointment with Dr. Amson.. .I started working on trying to lose weight on my own, exercised as much as I could... my next appointment with Dr. A.. I was down about 25lbs...   He expressed his satisfaction in the efforts that I was taking and told me that I definitely was a patient that he would be more than willing to do the surgery on...   It is important to realize that there are people that will get prioritized before other patients based on medical crisis that are related to their being overweight... high blood pressure, sleep apnea, heart problems... etc...       I know that I got really frustrated with the weight but now realize that my being overweight was not as high of a medical concern as those that had surgery for me...     I did visit my family physician regularly and was weighed and shared with him my eating plan and exercise log book... then my physician sent letters to Dr. Amson annually to advise him that I am still working on my weight loss in preparation for WLS... I think that this could have helped me in getting a surgery date within 3 years..   Good Luck

Most Active