New to the site

Sandradel
on 6/8/08 5:33 pm - Chilliwack, Canada
Let me start by saying HI, I am a 40 year old woman, who is also a newly wed, I have been researching bariatric surgery for almost 10 years now, and I have come to the decision that I am going to go for it. However, my GP seems to be a bit lazy when it comes to getting any thing started in regards to getting me any type of referals. He actually told me to find a surgeon, and he would refer me, and that I may have to come up with the funding for myself to have it done in Canada. I have also seen that there are places just across to boarder that I could go, and by reviewing a few of the posts here, I notice that there are options for Out of Country coverage. What I am hoping for is some information on a Dr, who can assist me with getting the approval for going across the boarder for the surgery and having the coverage, I do not have the money to pay for it myself, and I want to have a long and healthy life with my new husband, he met me, and married me the way I am, and I adore him for that, and I want to give him the best that I can. I also want to be around to see my 15 neices and nephews grow up, I am also aware that if me and my husband want to adopt, I am going to need to lose weight, as your health is always a factor in the approval process. I have alot of reasons for wanting this, and I am hoping that someone can assist me with the search for a Dr, who can also help me with the journey that I want to take. Thank you in advance, Sandra
Sim W.
on 6/9/08 2:06 pm - Vancouver, Canada
Dear Sandra, Welcome to the site. It has been pretty quiet on here lately but there are a few of us who applied for out of country and got it. It is a little complicated so it is best to email me privately and send me your contact info and I can call you or you can call me so we can chat further. Take care, Sim 62 inches gone since June 26/07 RNY June 26, 2007 Seattle, WA- Dr. Hunter-Virginia Mason Hospital, HW 323 lbs; SW 313 lbs; CW 185 lbs, GW around 150 lbs
Barb S.
on 6/9/08 2:26 pm - New Westminster, BC, Canada
Hi, Welcome aboard. I am scheduled for surgery next Tuesday. I too am going to the Virginia Mason in Seattle. I am very excited and have worked towards this goal for 6 years so it is still amazing to me that the time is just a week away. I too was approved for out of country coverage. It is a long and challenging process but so far from what I am experiencing a way better way to go than waiting in BC. In all my prep and reading one thing that has stuck with me and I don't remember who wrote it and wehre I read it but I do know it was on a BC site...You must Advocate for yourself. This surgery will not happen if you don't push, beg, borrow and steal to make it happen. Some will tell you that the only surgeon to go to is Amson. I think there are some wonderful alternatives and would be more than willing to share some thooughts with you off line. You can reach me by my email if you want to chat....b_joy_s@ yahoo.com , no spaces. Good luck in your journey and feel free to drop me a line. Barb
sharonspence
on 6/10/08 4:53 am - Canada
Hi Barb I`m so happy for you. Good luck next week. You will be taken care of down there bt the best. The staff at Virginia Mason are wonderful. If you have ever been in hospital here in BC, Virginia Mason is gold. Good luck and we will see alot less of you in the months t come. LOL. Sharon
Most Active