hair loss

cpl60
on 5/4/08 12:28 am - Langley, Canada
Hi everyone! I am wondering how common it is to lose hair after WLS. I already have thin, fine hair and want to hold on to pretty much EVERY strand!! Is it due to not enough protein? Please advise. Thanks, Colleen :- )
Sim W.
on 5/4/08 12:05 pm - Vancouver, Canada
Dear Colleen, Yes it is very common to lose hair after the surgery and it is due to a combination of factors. Most of us (but there is the odd exception to the rule) lose hair after surgery. it usually starts in approx. the 3 months post op and continues to approx. 9 months post op. of course, that can be different for each person. The reason(s) are varied, but fairly certain it's not a lack of nutrition, not if you're taking your vitamins regularly and also making sure to optimize the protein and drink lots of water. without those vital components of a post ops life, then yes, you may end up losing more hair? but there is a loss of fat in our diets, we don't absorb the same anymore (reason to optimize certain nutrients), and there's trauma after surgery. There are a number of factors that contribute to hair loss after surgery including the hormonal imbalance that happens with rapid weight loss. The best thing we can do is drink lots of water, take all of our vitamins, fuel our bodies with protein-rich foods, and use a good conditioner. The process actually won't stop your hair from falling out but it will come back. There is nothing you can really do, you will lose some hair. I don't know anyone who has not lost some hair but the good news is that it grows back. Some people report color changes, texture changes, or a change from straight to curly (or vice-versa) when it grows back. It is not this particular surgery that promotes hair loss. I am told by doctors that it is all abdominal surgery and surgeries that keep you under anaesthesia for a long period of time. The body experiences a great deal of deal of trauma and the hair follicles on the top of your head are the least of your body's worries in this healing process. Your body wants to live and will pour all it's resources into healing the trauma. After it is satisfied that it will survive then it will go back and start sending blood back to what it considers the fairly non essential areas like hair follicles. I take biotin every day and I heard omega 3-6-9 is a good one too. To help the hair issue: Take all your vitamins (add biotin to impove hair quality and growth when it does grow back) Drink 2-3 litres of water/liquid per day LOTS of protein Cut it shorter so it doesn't look so thin, grow it out again when the re-growth starts Comparing my hair loss to my weight loss, .... I'm all over losing my hair again were it ever necessary!! it is traumatic, no doubts- but it will come back, it just makes us get a bit more creative in styling. Hope this helps. take care, Sim 62 inches gone since June 26/07 RNY June 26, 2007 Seattle, WA- Dr. Hunter-Virginia Mason Hospital, HW 323 lbs; SW 313 lbs; CW 190 lbs, GW around 150 lbs
Most Active