I'm a newbie that needs some info

JoW
on 3/11/08 12:02 pm - delta, Canada
Hi Everyone, my name is JoAnna and I am new to thses boards. I have a few questions about lapband surgery and I was hoping that some you would be able to help me. Just to give you some background info I am 28yrs old, 5"5 and weight 241bls. although this is the most that I have ever weight I have been overweight for the last 5 years with my weight sitting around 215lbs. I am thinking about getting lapband surgery but have a few questions first............ 1. is the procedure covered by BC medical? extented medical plans? 2. how long of a wait is it usually from the initial consultation to the actual surgery? 3. how long until you are back at work again after the surgery? 4. can anyone reccommend a doctor in the Vancouver area? any info that you could give me would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
Connib
on 3/11/08 3:34 pm - Vernon , Canada
Hi JoAnna I started my journey intending to thave the lap band. I can tell you that MSP does not cover it under any cir****tances. Extended medical coverage I am not sure, you would have to check with the company that has your extended. I was able to get an appointment pretty quick for the lap band because they assumed I was self paying, which I was not. So needless to say I did alot of thinking and researching before changing my mind to bypass. I did have a band over 14 years ago and it was for me a very easy surgery and it was open at the time not lap. I was back to work in 10 days. I kept of most of my weight until a knee injury left me sedimentary for almost 3 years, then food became my best friend and of coarse my pouch stretched. This should not happen now with the lap band and adjustments. Good luck I am only aware of Dr. Amson in Victoria and then one Dr. in Delta
JoW
on 3/12/08 1:54 am - delta, Canada
that's so ridiculous that MSP won't cover any of it, I thought for sure that they would. I can"t afford to pay $15,000 for surgery so I guess my quest ends here:(
(deactivated member)
on 3/13/08 5:10 am - langley, Canada
Hi joanna don't give up yet! dr. Amson in victoria does the surgery and i think it is covered under bcmed but the wait is bout 3 years. Some of us are applying for out of country surgery and are waiting for results. Be patient and keep trying. Have a look at www.victoriabariacticsurgery.com. john
Mochababy38
on 3/13/08 6:24 am
Hi Joanna, I HAVE the Lapband, and I can tell you it is 100% NOT covered under BC Medical. It is self Pay. (unfortunately) There are only a few Doctors in BC that do it and they are Dr.Leung(Surrey), Dr.Woodhead(Delta) and Dr. Amson (Victoria). If you are planning on getting the Lapband, be VERY sure that you research it. I have had mine for almost 2 years, and it has been a struggle. With the band, it is easy to eat around restriction..ie ice cream, chocolate etc. The band helps with volume eating, but if sweets are a problem to you, then a Bypass is a better choice. There are many who are successful with the band, others have had lots of trouble. It is all different for all. Don't give up.. there are loan options out there. If you want to know anything else, feel free to e-mail me : [email protected]
Sim W.
on 3/13/08 10:29 pm - Vancouver, Canada
Hi Joanna, Yes the lap band is NOT covered by MSP at all. Do your research and read other people posts. Dr. Amson's website victoriabariatricsurgery.com has many people on there that have had lap bands and there are a few support groups out there for pre op and post op people. Sorry I have to chime in here and tell you that a lot of people I know who have had the lap band have struggled and have not lost that much weight compared to the RNY. When I did my research for 2 years before the WLS I talked to many people and consulted with surgeons who told me it is more for people who have less to lose-100 pounds or less- what they consider to be light weights. I was also told that you can drink those high calories drinks like milkshakes and ice cream as mentioned above. Alberta has conducted a test pilot of paying for 100 people to get the lap band on a test trial as the success rate has not been too good. That could be why MSP will not pay for it. We will see what the results are and it could make a difference in what the provinces decide to do in the future. The lap band has been controversial and depends on the will power and motivation. Think about portion control and what are your weaknesses. My understanding is that the food can slide in a lot easier with the lapband than the RNY unless you have just had a fill, plus you have to have fills done for the rest of your life. Sorry I am giving you my opinion here but I think you would have more permanent success with the RNY. It is considered to be the gold standard. My two cents here. Sim 62 inches gone since June 26/07 RNY June 26, 2007 Seattle, WA- Dr. Hunter-Virginia Mason Hospital, HW 323 lbs; SW 313 lbs; CW 197 lbs, GW around 150 lbs
Mochababy38
on 3/14/08 3:30 am
In response to SIMS response. I wholeheartedly AGREE with all that she has said about the band. In retrospect, I wish that I didn't have it done... BUT I do know people that the band has worked for. It has not worked for me, and 3 of my close friends (we had lap band surgery the same year.) ALL are trying to have the band removed after complications. Joanna, I would look in both surgeries, and talk to people in depth who have had both types of WLS before you make your decision. Sim is a great person to talk to as she has a HUGE knowledge of bariatric surgery. All the best, stay positive.. the answer is out there for you! Trace
Most Active