ultrasound coming up, help!

Sim W.
on 3/5/08 8:55 pm - Vancouver, Canada
Hi everyone, I had an appt with my doctor last week and when he was doing a general physical exam and was touching the lower part of stomach I winched in pain and told him it was sore. He felt down there and said that my uterus is enlarged and it is and I quote " 5 times the size it should be". He also said that my uterus is the size of a women who is 5 months pregnant. He is sending me to the gynecologist next month as he thinks I have multiple fibroids in my uterus. I asked why they missed that in my last ultrasound that was done in Jan 2007 and he said he is not sure but it could have been due to my obesity although the ultrasound that was done before WLS revealed multiple gallstones and that is why my gallbladder was taken out during the WLS. He said now that I have lost around 125 pounds he can actually feel the fibroids. They put a rush to send me for 2 ultrasounds, one for my pelvis and the other for an abdominal ultrasound which will be on March 20th at VGH. The ultrasound instructions were given to me and they want me to drink 3 large glasses of water 2 hours before the ultrasounds and hold my pee until after the ultrasound. I told them that I don't think I can drink that much water at once and I reminded them that I had the gastric bypass but they did not get it, they said yes you can do it and if you can't well then it will not work as we need to expand your uterus area. I phoned my surgeon's office and Dr. Hunter's assistant Stephen Geary said he will fax me a letter and explanation saying it is impossible for me to drink 3 large glasses of water all at once and to give this to my doctor and gynecologist and the ultrasound place. He said they have to modify this to accommodate gastric bypass patients. I asked if it I could do a MRI or a cat scan instead and he said unfortunately an ultrasound is the most accurate. Has anyone had an ultrasound after the surgery and if so were you able to drink all tha****er? Any advice would be helpful. They also said that depending on what they see on the ultrasounds they would recommend me to get a hysterectomy. Ugh! I don't want to go into menopause so early. I am only 45. Although I am uncomfortable some times I would rather not have that surgery. I know I have around another 10 years before I will have menopause but I would prefer to wait. Thanks Sim 62 inches gone since June 26/07 RNY June 26, 2007 Seattle, WA- Dr. Hunter-Virginia Mason Hospital, HW 323 lbs; SW 313 lbs; CW 197 lbs, GW around 150 lbs
Elaine C.
on 3/8/08 6:25 am - Port Coquitlam, Canada
RNY on 03/17/08 with
Hi Sim, Sorry I can't help you in regards to the Ultrasound and it must be quite scarey for you hopefully someone can help you. I did want to say that I read your stats and that is amazing. I am going to Mexico on March 17 - can't believe it is here so soon. I am so excited and can only hope that I do as well as you have done. Keep up the good work and try not to worry too much about the ultrasound (I know it is easier said than done) Take care Elaine
Most Active