using CPAC as a crutch

Sim W.
on 2/25/08 9:42 pm - Vancouver, Canada
I am going in for an overnight sleep test at UBC hospital this Saturday night for a follow up to check my sleep apnea. I saw the doctor yesterday and he said I only had 3.4 obstructions without CPAC last week when I had my oximetry test. This was a difference from 144 obstructions from a year ago. He asked me to not sleep with the CPAC from now until Saturday as he wants at least 4 days to go by where I sleep naturally and I prepare my body for the overnight test. He also said that my muscle tone has probably changed after wearing CPAC for over a year. Needless to say, I was too scared to sleep last night and I tossed and turned all night worrying that I would stop breathing, Finally after several hours I put my mask back on and slept a little. It is now 4 am and I am wide awake, geesh!! I think I am now using the CPAC as a crutch. So tonight I will pack it up and put it away in the carry on case so I have no choice but to comply with the instructions. The good news is that if all goes well this Saturday night they will tell me to stop using it for good, yahoo! or they will reduce the pressure much lower. It went from a 15 to an 11 but it is still too high. Sim 57.5 inches gone since June 26/07 RNY June 26, Seattle, WA- Dr. Hunter-Virginia Mason HW 323 lbs; SW 313 lbs; CW 202 lbs, GW 150 lbs
Most Active