What is Dumping Syndrome?

Sim W.
on 11/23/07 11:58 pm - Vancouver, Canada
Hi everyone, got this from my surgeon- I thought I would share. Cheers, Sim What is Dumping Syndrome? Dumping Syndrome can occur after any surgery that changes the way in which food leaves the stomach. It occurs when food passes too quickly (dumped) from the stomach to the small intestine. In response, water from the surrounding blood vessels is drawn into the small intestine, usually resulting in a combination of the following symptoms: abdominal fullness, cramping, nausea, light-headedness, sweating, rapid heartbeat and diarrhea. Symptoms can occur 10-20 minutes after eating a meal and/or 1-3 hours after eating. What Causes Dumping Syndrome? Refined sugars, overeating, and drinking liquids with meals are the usual culprits. Dumping Syndrome symptoms have also been reported with high fat food consumption. How Can Dumping Syndrome Be Avoided? ? Avoid refined sugars ? Avoid all foods//liquids with added sugar listed as one of the first three ingredients on the food label ? Eat small, frequent meals ? Eat slowly and rest a little after eating ? Do not drink liquids with meals ? Avoid caffeine and very hot or cold liquids/foods Refined Sugars/Sugar Alcohols To Avoid: Barley Malt, Honey, Molasses Brown Sugar, High Fructose Corn, Raw Sugar, Cane Sugar, Invert Sugar, Sorghum Confectioners Sugar , Isomalt, Sucrose Corn Syrup, Lactose, Sorbitol Corn Sweeteners, Lactitol, Turbinado Dextrose, Levulose, Table Sugar Fructose, Maltose, Xylitol Glucose, Mannitol, Granulated Sugar, Maple Syrup ______________________________________________________________________ Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead HW: 323 lbs; SW: 313 lbs CW: 227 lbs; GW: 150 June 26, 07- RNY, Seattle, WA Surgeon: Dr. J. Hunter
Most Active