Pre-op tests

svass
on 9/30/07 2:47 pm - North Vancouver, Canada
I am just now looking into the Lapband Procedure and was wondering what kind of pre-op tests are needed? I'm not to sure where to go either.........was looking into Dr. Joya in Mexico. I would rather stay closer to home, North Vancouver, B.C. but can't seem to find anybody around here that does it. Can anybody give any suggestions in that area? Thank You Sheila
Sim W.
on 10/1/07 1:08 am - Vancouver, Canada
Dear Sheila, I had the RNY done so I am not 100% sure on the pre op tests for lap band but I am assuming it is the same tests for both. When you make an appt with the surgeon ask them what needs to be done or you can call and ask but this is what I know. Overnight oximetry and/or overnight sleep study to check for sleep apnea and other respiritory disorders; gastroscopy aka: "the scope" to check the structure of the stomach and esophagus; endocrinologist appointment to check for hormonal issues; dietician appointment to discuss pre-op and post-op diet; pre-admission testing at the hospital days prior to your surgery (blood test, ecg, xray, meeting with anesthetist). I also had an ultrasound on my heart and stomach and a cardiologist did an EKG on me. I also saw a psychologist for one visit who assessed me for mental state, but that is not a requirement for many surgeons, but I was required to do it. I think it is good idea. Other tests and appointments may be added if deemed medically necessary. There are 3 surgeons who do lapbanding in BC I believe and you have to self pay it. Dr R Woodhead in Delta BC chargers 14000.00. I'm not sure of the wait time. His address and phone no. are # 206 4515 Harvest Dr, Delta, BC V4K 4L1 (604) 946-6500. The other one is Dr Brad Amson. 405-1120 Yates Street Victoria BC V8V 3M9 Phone (250) 384-8154 Fax (250) 384-7571. If you call Dr Amson's office let them know you are inquiring about the lap band. I believe the Lapband wait time is about 3-6 months. I believe the cost is around $16,000. And Dr. Lai in Surrey Memorial Hospital. I don't have his contact information sorry. Good luck, please keep us posted. Sim ______________________________________________________________________ Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead HW: 323 lbs; SW: 313 lbs CW: 243 lbs; GW: 150 June 26, 07- RNY, Seattle, WA Surgeon: Dr. J. Hunter
janey-mae
on 10/7/07 1:49 pm - Victoria, Canada
Lap Band on 08/08/07 with
I went to Dr. Joya in August and was very pleased. I was treated very well and the hospital, while basic was very clean and professionally run. The price, while a lot cheaper than in Canada or the US, was not the deciding factor. I chatted with a couple of people who had gone to him before and rad a lot about him on different forums. Good luck with your quest. I am SO glad I had it done!
Most Active