Dr. Joya

janey-mae
on 7/20/07 12:56 pm - Victoria, Canada
Lap Band on 08/08/07 with
I have been looking on line for surgery possibilities and am wondering if anyone has tried Dr. Joya in Mexico? He seems pretty cheap, all things considered and I want to know if he is an excellent surgeon. Anyone been to him? Many thanks!
Sim W.
on 7/20/07 3:50 pm - Vancouver, Canada
Dear Jean, Check the older posts and the roster of members on the BC board as there has been a few people who had Dr. Joya do the WLS. This board is pretty quiet so you will find the answers to your questions faster by doing it that way. Check the older posts named out of country for a start. Good luck Sim Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead HW: 333 lbs; SW: 307 lbs CW: 277 lbs; GW: 150 June 26, 07- RNY, Seattle, WA Surgeon: Dr. J. Hunter
AbbyMissy
on 7/22/07 11:47 pm - Dawson Creek, Canada
Lap Band on 06/29/07 with
Hi Jean, I went to Dr. Joya on June 29th to have the lap band surgery. Everything went very smoothly. They pick you up at the airport and take you to the hospital. You meet with Nathalie, of human resources, and she goes over all the forms you need to sign. She takes you up to your room and gets you settled. They do all your blood work and an ECG before surgery and an internist doctor comes to meet with you. Just before surgery Dr. Joya comes to talk with you. I landed in Puerta Vallarta at 3:15, was in surgery at 6:30 and up in my room at 9:30pm. The next day Dr. Joya comes to see you again and then Nathalie does the discharge process and information. Then she gives you taxi fare and you are off to a very nice hotel for one night (you can choose to stay longer at a special rate per night). All the flight arrangements are made for you. There is a $1000 deposit that you wire when you schedule the surgery and you pay the other $7000 when you first meet with Nathalie (I took a US bank note from the Royal Bank or you can use a credit card). Dr. Joya has a support group where I met three other women that had the surgery on the same day as I did. Everything went well for all of us with no problems. The only thing is that you can choose to have a Inamed Lap Band or a Swedish Band. I wasn't really prepared to make that decision as I didn't know there was a choice. The Inamed Lap Band is FDA approved however the Swedish Band is not approved as of yet. However, the Swedish Band is available in Canada used by doctors here. So you might want to do some research about which band you would like. (In the end I chose to let Dr. Joya decide which band would work best for me and he put in the Swedish Band). I am very pleased with the results and with the treatment I received. Some of the nurses do not speak a lot of English, but they are able to get you to understand what they are doing and are very sweet. Let me know if you have any other questions. Rhonda Kirtzinger
Lolo42
on 7/23/07 2:30 pm - Delta, Canada
HI there, I had my surgery in Mexico too, mine was in Monterrey with Dr. Dela Garza. He and the anethetist and my guide spoke very good english but that was about all. I was picked up at the airport and taken straight to the OCA hospital (very clean) and put up in their hotel room (4th floor or hospital) at no extra cost and then taken down to the clinical area of the hospital to meet with the doc and anethetist and had my surgery later that day. I too paid a $1000 up front and another $7000 when I arrived. I was very happy with the experience. I was then taken back to the airport by their driver. It was all so fast and well organized no one in my family even noticed I was gone, hee. Left on a Thursday night after work and arrived home Sunday morning. ONly took one day off work and that was the friday before I left. The website to find this doctor is www.litenfree.com, Marie was my patient coordinator. Good luck with your decision and let us know how it goes.
sweetascanbee
on 7/31/07 2:54 am - Port Alberni, Canada
HI Jean, are you looking to have a lap band or the RNY surgery? I had RNY surgery with Dr Rumbaut in Moneterrey Mexico. Sorry I don't know anything about Dr Joya. I was very well looked after as well. Becky
Devina
on 8/5/07 11:31 am - Sweet Home, OR
Hi my name is Devina and I seen that you are looking for anyone that has gone to Dr Joya there are some on the forum South of the border, I hope this helps you! God Bless. Devina
mariamahoa
on 9/9/07 3:04 am - Victoria, Canada
VSG on 08/23/07 with
Hi Jane, Sorry I didn't reply to your post sooner. I had surgery with Dr. Joya on August 23. I am also from Victoria. He is an excellent surgeon, facility is clean, staff professional and the beaches for recuperating on are wonderful. I went on my own and managed quite fine. I would go back there in a heartbeat. Nathilie Dr. Joya's co-ordinator is great. She speaks English, French, Spanish and is a wealth of knowledge. She meets you at the hospital and walks you through everything that is going on. You will love Dr. Joya. Always smiling. He does healing touch so when he talks to you he always has his hand on your shoulder, knee. You just feel very supported. After my surgery when I was back at the hotel I managed a day sightseeing tour in an air conditioned bus, a morning at the spa, shopping and laying by the pool. I loved PV, I had never been to Mexico before. The Dr.s that visit you at the hotel and great. Good luck on your decision. I do not regret one minute going to Mexico or having my VSG. I am down 18 pounds and happy, happy, happy....Gale
janey-mae
on 9/9/07 5:06 am - Victoria, Canada
Lap Band on 08/08/07 with
Many thanks, Gale. I did go to Dr. Joya on August 8 and am I ever glad I did! My experience was very similar to yours and now that it is all over, I am very happy. I am down 35 lbs already! Where will you get your fills?
mariamahoa
on 9/9/07 7:11 am - Victoria, Canada
VSG on 08/23/07 with
Hi Jane, I opted for the VSG. After discussions with Dr. Joya it was the best option for me. Way to go 35 pounds!! That is awesome. I am at 18 pounds and very happy 57 to go. Take care, keep me posted on your progress.....Gale...
svass
on 10/18/07 9:42 am - North Vancouver, Canada
Hello Gale, I was just wondering where do you go to get any adjustments done? Sheila
Most Active