help finding a surgeon

debbielyn
on 6/11/07 11:08 am - Vanderhoof, Canada
Hello, I just found this sight and have read a few postings. I'm up in northern BC and am looking for a surgeon for the lap band procedure. If you know how I can contact a few, I would appreciate your help. Also, does anyone know if any extended benefit programs cover the expense? Thanx Debbie
sharonspence
on 6/12/07 10:18 am - Canada
Hi Debbie I don`t think you will find a surgeon in BC who does lap band ? At first I was going to have lap band then changed my mind. I know Dr Meneghetti explained it to me. It seems more trouble than its worth. Even if you have it out of country It may be impossible to find anyone to do your fills. I researched the lap band more, and I`m glad I won`t be getting it. There seems to be way to many problems with it compared to gastric bypass. At this point I can`t even get that ( WLS ). I have applied for Out of Country WLS. Keep searching the web for people who have had lap band and compare it with gastric bypass. The more information you have the better. For me personaly lap band is not good for me. It will not help my eating habits. From what I have read you can still eat what you want ( much smaller amounts ) I need to cut down on portion size and the bad stuff. I`m Irish and we like our are sweets. Good luck in your search Sharon
Sim W.
on 6/12/07 12:24 pm - Vancouver, Canada
Hi Debbie, I agree with Sharon about choosing gastric bypass instead of lapbanding. But you should do your homework and decide what is right for you. Here are a few names of surgeons in BC who do the lapbanding. You will have to pay for the whole thing anywhere from $14,000- $16,000 approx as MSP will not cover it. Dr R Woodhead in Delta BC chargers 14000.00. I'm not sure of the wait time. (Delta is a suburb of Vancouver) His address and phone no. are # 206 4515 Harvest Dr, Delta, BC V4K 4L1 (604) 946-6500. Dr Brad Amson. 405-1120 Yates Street Victoria BC V8V 3M9 Phone (250) 384-8154; Fax (250) 384-7571. If you call Dr Amson's office let them know you are inquiring about the lap band. I believe the wait is around 3-6 months. The cost is around 16,000.00. Dr. Wai Man Leung, in Surrey, BC who does the Lapband too. He is excellent, once you get over his bed side mannner, and you get your surgery within about 4 to 6 months. Sorry I don' thave his number but I believe he does it out of Surrey Memorial hospital so you could phone there and check. Good luck Sim "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. " by Margaret Mead. HW: 333 lbs CW: 306 lbs GW: 150 ish Surgery date: June 26, 07- RNY, Seattle, WA Surgeon: Dr. J. Hunter-Virginia Mason Medical Center
Lolo42
on 7/8/07 11:12 am - Delta, Canada
I live in BC and just wanted to say that the info here is great, in all my searching I had only been able to find Dr. Amson and his wait list was fairly long. I ended up going to Mexico and getting mine. I was great in that I could just pick my date and go, no wait list. It cost me $8000 US so about $8500 CDN plus my airfare. No hotel. I am a week post op, well Friday was and I feel pretty good. I have my first weigh in tomorrow morning. I have been really strict to not become a scale junkie so I am hoping to have had some weight loss, I have been disapointed so many other times with other things I have tried I am tainted. I have read on some web sites that you can go ahead and eat regular food. I have to be on a liquid diet for 2 weeks and the soft food diet (baby food, smoothies) for another 2. Does this sound about right to you cause I would love some normal food.
OceanLoverBC
on 7/18/12 2:01 pm
Surrey doctor that does lap-band procedure: 
Dr. Wai-Man Leung 
200-13798 94A Ave Surrey  Phone: 604.581.2515
Approximately $14,000 to go through lap-band privately. 
Most Active