My email to anyone and everyone that might listen - or not.

Elaine C.
on 11/28/06 5:19 am - Port Coquitlam, Canada
RNY on 03/17/08 with
I also sent it to the Vancouver Sun but only hope that they don't actually want to talk to me 'cause that might freak me out a little. According to the BC MSP website "Surgery may be an option if you have a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or more." My BMI is 42, I have sore joints, get stress headaches and am quite depressed because of my obesity. I recently sent an email to the Vancouver Coastal Health Authorities requesting a reason as to why Dr Adam Meneghetti a qualified bariatric surgeon who is in the Lower Mainland is not being approved for OR time. Although I did receive a lovely form letter (which I have added to the end of this email) it didn't help me at all. I am also a little upset that the Vancouver Coastal Health Authorities have to make sure that the surgery benefits 'everyone in the Lower Mainland'. Well the Safe Needle Site in Vancouver doesn't benefit me or anyone that I know but that doesn't mean that I don't think it should be there. Fortunately so far I don't have any major health issues but according to my cardiologist it won't be long before I start having severe repercussions from being obese and soon my heart will not be so healthy. So I wondered if BC Medical says that one of my options is to have weight loss surgery then why is it that I have to travel all the way to Victoria to get it. Then I have to wait 3 or 4 years from my first consultation to surgery. But there is one doctor in the Lower Mainland who is capable of performing the operation and is just trying to get approved for OR time. I am dealing with my own personal issues with food while seeing a psychologist and a dietician. There are a lot of us that are trying to better ourselves by changing our lifestyles and seeking psychological help but this is also a medical issue so why can't we get any medical help? I was very happy to see the article in the Vancouver Sun saying that the hospitals will start carrying healthier foods in their vending machines and that the schools serve healthier meals because more and more children are growing up obese. Maybe if there was more help for those of us in child bearing years to improve ourselves we wouldn't be having such obese children. I dread every day that my daughter is going to be one of those obese children. My parents are obese, I am obese why shouldn't my daughter? I don't give her candy and pop but do try to encourage her to eat fruit and vegetables but from what I am reading that is only half the battle, if the parents are obese then there is a big chance that their children will be as well. I would also like to point out that according to Section 12-1(a) of the Canada Health Act, in order to satisfy the criterion respecting accessibility, the health care insurance plan of a province must provide for insured health services on uniform terms and conditions and on a basis that does not impede or preclude, either directly or indirectly whether by charges made to insured persons or otherwise, reasonable access to those services by insured persons. Waiting 3 or 4 years for medical treatment is not "reasonable access". I look forward to hearing from you. Elaine Chilman
Sim W.
on 11/28/06 11:18 am - Vancouver, Canada
Dear Elaine, Excellent letter, well written! Sim
(deactivated member)
on 11/28/06 12:26 pm - Victoria, Canada
Hello Elaine, That is a great letter. I am happy that there are so many of us writing to the health agencies, MLA's and newspapers. I have not written to the newspapers yet but certainly if I end up having to stay home again tomorrow I will have lots of time to put something together for the papers. Thank you for putting your voice out there. Janice
Elaine C.
on 11/28/06 2:21 pm - Port Coquitlam, Canada
RNY on 03/17/08 with
We all have to stick together on this one let us hope that one of us gets some good news soon. I tried calling Dr M's office yesterday but no reply, I guess cause of all the snow, I did however leave a message and no one has returned my call yet so will try again tomorrow. Elaine
Most Active