question: when you go out to eat..

simply_jess
on 5/7/06 2:06 am - Phoenix, AZ
when you go out to eat... what do you order?
Sandy in Tucson
on 5/7/06 3:39 am - Tucson, AZ
I rarely eat out anymore...........I find I can not control the calories,fats and carbs when Ieat out. I am like 16 lbs from goal....so I am eating only certain things. But, in the past I ordered protein type appetizers. Like shrimpo things or chicken things. The trick with eating out is to ask for a to go box immediately...when the food comes...put eveything but your limited portion in the to go box...then you do not over eat.....and be tempted to pick at the food after you are done waiting for others to finish. Eating out is a challenge with non-ops. I do go to lunch with other Weight losspeople we split small meals. But, like I said I am so near goal. I am not budging from the controlled foods I eat. I walk 4-5 miles a day everyday. I walk up Tumamoc hill 4-5 times a week with a 700 ft elevation gain. Exercise is the key to success with weight loss surgery. Sandy in Tucson 347/166/150 181 lbs off
simply_jess
on 5/7/06 3:43 am - Phoenix, AZ
the to-go box idea seems really great. I'm writng that down ASAP lol. I asked about what a person eats because a lot of support groups go out to eat afterwards and it just perplexed me as a pre op patient with how comfortable it might be. I live with non-surgical people and now, pre-op that is, we love to eat out... and I don't want to stop their fun of eating out and stopping them because I can't. Do you find, well when you use to go out, do they accomodate to you.. and do you have that print out card telling them you have a right to order off the kids menu?
Sandy in Tucson
on 5/7/06 3:58 am - Tucson, AZ
Well they will be accomadting for a small period of time out of respect. But, truthfully why should they be on the long haul. It is our choice to have the surgery. You can go....pay the big prices for 1/2 cup of food. Like I said look for a appertizer. But, as you get closer to goal...not many healthy choices on any menu out there. I eat no rice, potatoes, or pastas ever...so that makes it even tougher. I basically enjoy my pre-made meals from foods that are at my house...I buy organic stuff. I eat all fresh veggies...nothing processed. I eat a lot of seafood. One of the thing that is so tough with this surgery is changing habits that got you heavy....and if all that eating out is part of it...you may have to back off going with them. For me I a determined for full success. I will do anything to get there. Sometimes the old ways are not good for you after surgery. That does not mean you can never go...that means you do not go as much. And also that has surprized me that the support groups in Phx go out to eat all the time after the meetings. For me, maybe not others I would not enjoy seeing a non-complient WLS patient eating the wrong things or to much food in general. Maybe I like to be sheltered.....but my opinion. We have potlucks with my support group once a month, I rarely go because I see things people eat and then they cry plateau or weight gain...it bothers me. So, I make sure I am with complient WLS people when I do eat out. I am sure I am obessed...but at 181 lbs off it must be working!!!!! Sandy
Sandy in Tucson
on 5/7/06 4:12 am - Tucson, AZ
Those cards are trash in my opinion, too. I believe it was my decision to have the surgery...why should a resteraunt be accomdating to me they did not ask me to have the surgery. I will tell you some use them, but I would be embarrased to. My opinion. I just pay full price if I eat out....take it home. I never ate at buffets at my heaviest....and never will now ever again. I go for quality, not quantity. I eat only filet mignon now not regular steak meat...why...I eat 1/4 cup...so it better be darn tastey. And my b/f eats the rest of the small filet migon.....we are both thrilled at my new diet....because we eat better foods (more expensive) without our food bill getting out of control. Why? I eat like a bird....so lets eat quality I say. I have alot of opinions!!! But, we have to make lifestyle changes-forever-for this surgery to work. Please read Oprahs magazine this month...she has a pink dress on...it is on the newstands like 2 more days. A great article about what people forget to tell you about weight loss surgery. And the article is dead on. B/f has lost 30 lbs since my surgery-18 months ago....he loves our new diet and get angry when I make bad carbs like homemade mac-n-cheese in the crockpot...it wassssssssssssss one of our old favorites. Not now. Sandy
simply_jess
on 5/7/06 6:58 am - Phoenix, AZ
thanks for the straight talk and no BS. I really respect that. I loved reading your advice because its real.. I will definitely look for the Oprah magazine too. thanks
Darlene X
on 5/7/06 4:52 am - Maricopa, AZ
We eat out after support group.... I LOVE it! It's a great time to socialize and get to know everyone, and it helps to see what WLS graduates are eating, years after surgery ... it helps you to also make good choices. You don't have to go... but we always choose to, and share a meal or an appetizer. Restraunts always have healthy choices, fish & meats, vegetables, salads... Darlene
simply_jess
on 5/7/06 11:12 pm - Phoenix, AZ
I thought going out to eat with post-ops would be a very educational thing too. I am just torn personally because I can handle the diet, but when I go out to eat to the places I would go to pre op... I might feel like I'm missing something. But truth be known, I'm still pre-op so who knows if I'll even like that stuff after the surgery. thanks for the info.. I basically can see myself saving money already, lol
moirap
on 5/7/06 3:59 am - Mesa, AZ
I eat out all the time and I eat what ever I'm in the mood for( keep in mind my tastes have changed since surgery) I never eat sweets so thats not a problem. Sometimes a salad or a soup and if its a big salad I ask for dressing on the side and get a to go box. The salad can last me 3 meals. Sometimes I'll order an appetizer and usually I take at least 1/2 of that home. I love leftovers and eat them all the time. I avoid the starchy foods and kind of have an idea of the calories from fitday. I go by protein first such as chicken breast with cheese and shrimp. I don't tolerate rich foods anymore like sauces which is a good thing. I agree get a box right up front and you will be less like to over stuff yourself.
simply_jess
on 5/7/06 11:13 pm - Phoenix, AZ
I see myself saving a lot of money if I go out to eat lol. I like the idea of your partner ordering something and just having a few bites of their protein lol. The box idea does sound excellent too... so thank you for the advice
Most Active