Realistic pain and exercise expectations?

Judy F.
on 5/4/06 6:18 pm - Sierra Vista, AZ
I am scheduled for a lap RNY on June 8th with Dr. Kieran from the Scottsdale Bariatric Center. I have had both open and laproscopic surgeries done before and know that the recovery time for the lap surgeries goes much quicker. What kind of pain should I be prepared for after the surgery based on everyone's experiences? I know this is major surgery but I'm not sure what I should expect afterwards. I was also wondering how long it was after the surgery before you all started exercising again. I just started exercising on a regular basis. 3 days a week I have a water aerobics class and two days I go to a gym and do a combo of light cardio plus strength training. I was already told that the water classes would have to be put on hold until after the incisions were completely healed (understandable), but I was wondering if anyone went back to strength training or doing a cardio workout right away. Thanks! Judy
Texas Girl
on 5/4/06 11:22 pm
Hi Judy, Congratulations on your surgery appt. I am 7 mo. post-op , Open RNY. I recovered very well.. took 6 weeks off from work... The pain was different from other surgeries I have had. I do remember that walking was the big reliever for me, when I hurt I would get up and walk... this made it where I woke up my bowels and could toot, I was up and walking the same day I had surgery. I pushed my IV pole around alot while in the hospital, laying in bed or sitting did not relieve pain... I felt better than I expected after surgery, just wanted to get up and move around... The pain was just different than I ever had. This surgery is a life changing surgery for me, I have been able to accept the dietary changes,. About strength training and cardio I do not know... Bless you on your day and preparing for your surgery... Smile Connie
Melissa P
on 5/5/06 1:05 am - Phoenix, AZ
Hi Judy, I had my surgery with Dr. Keiren on April 10th. She is a wonderful doctor. I had little pain. I would say the first week is the toughest. I stopped taking my pain meds on Friday the 14th after surgery. The left incision is the only one that is painful. But please follow the exercise guidelines that Scottsdale Bariatric will give you and only walking for the first 8 weeks. They also say you can do swimming after your incisions are healed. I have an infection in one of mine. So no swimming for me. You will have an appointment with the exercise physiologist before surgery and she will go over all of this. Good luck with your upcoming surgery. Melissa
Brandy H
on 5/5/06 1:14 am - Glendale, AZ
hi judy, i had laproscopic surgery last july and i didn't have a lot of pain. it was just rather difficult getting up and down and laughing (which i do alot) was out of the question. it is not a sharp pain but rather it felt like i had done a million situps sore in the muscles of the stomach. it took exactly one month for the abs to not hurt anymore. i remember waking up chilly sitting up in bed and pulling my blanket up over me...i laid back down and closed my eyes to go back to sleep and my eyes opened up again and i thought, "oh wow that was the first time i could sit up without pain!" i felt very tired and worn out for the first week or so. when i wanted to "excercise" for the first week i would go to the mall. i tried to walk house to house but again it was july and just WAY TOO HOT! so i walked anchor store to anchor store then would sit and rest and then go anchor store to anchor store again. i went to the gym for the first time 10 days after surgery and got on the tread mill and walked a mile at about 2.3 miles an hour. that was my starting of excercise. i gave it about a month after surgery before i started doing any strength training again. i have been pretty faithful about excercise since surgery. i work out at least 4 days a week. and even when i am not at the gym i am not just sitting around i am on my feet and going. good luck to you. let us know if you have any more questions.
SweetCivi
on 5/6/06 2:24 pm - Yuma, AZ
Hi Judy, I had my surgery with Dr. Blackstone on 1/17/06. Dr. Kieran is great. She came and saw me while I was in the hosptial. After surgery I got into my room at about 7pm. I was up and walking the halls by 11pm that night. As Melissa posted above, the exercise physiologist will go over with you what you will need to do after surgery. You will not be able to do the strength training. Walking and exercise bike is about the only thing that is allowed for the first 8 weeks after surgery. Then you will meet with the exercise physiologist again, and she will then help you come up with a program. The important thing is to continue the exercising that you are doing now until you have surgery. It will really help you alot in recovering. Good luck with your upcoming surgery. Kristin 350/262/150
Most Active