Need :help: with Pre-Op stock up!

Karen37
on 4/30/06 3:06 pm - Anchorage, AK
Hi, everyone! I am set to have my surgery on or near May 22nd. I haven't had much luck with contacting my surgeon's office for advice. I would like to buy all the supplies that I will need post-op while I am still a pre-op. Could you all give me a nudge in the right direction? I am one of those people who needs to be over-prepared, so I just need to know what to buy in the form of protein drinks/food, and if you have any helpful hints about anything else I might need. Thanks for everything! You are all so awesome! Love, Karen in Tucson
cynthia E.
on 5/3/06 5:22 am - buckeye, AZ
karen; I was excactly like you. I wanted to be prepared for anything. I made it simple. Since you will need to focus on protein and liquids. I bought 4 cans of Cream of Chicken soup, 2 gallons fat free milk (Sams Club), 1 can of GNC flovorless protein powder, 1 med. size box of powdered milk, 2 boxes Sugar free popcycles, SF Jello,SF pudding, 1 case of propel (Sams Club), 1 case of water (8oz bottles) and single serving SF crystal lite packets. I wanted to have everything I would need for the 2 weeks at home. I had plenty and I made it through. At first you will have to make yourself eat and drink. At the end of the liquid phase you will need to force yourself to get through it. When you are ready for the pureed phase I added refried beans, mash potatoes, and anything soft with protein in it. We got a list of foods for each phase of the post-op portion at St. Lukes. If you want I can pull mine out and fax them to you. I kept everything they gave me in a binder for easier reference. Give me your fax number and I will get it to you by Monday. Good luck, Cynthia
Karen37
on 5/8/06 11:54 am - Anchorage, AK
Hi, there! I am so sorry that it has taken me this long to thank you for helping me. I hope that at Banner Good Samaritan I get a binder like the one you got at St. Lukes. I have heard very good things about the Bridges program there. I can't believe that my surgery is in only two weeks! Thanks for helping me be prepared. Karen
Most Active