OT: So called friends

Randi D.
on 4/27/06 4:18 pm - Peoria, AZ
I had a friend that I used to go to dinner with. We worked at the same company, and we were still friends when I left. A couple of weeks ago, I asked her to do me a huge favor by watching my dogs. Her response was, "no offense but I don't want to get involved." When I told her it was due to a job offer, she stated, "there are other jobs out there." I was very offended at her comment because of her attitude and the fact that I had to chauffer her around when she crashed up her car. Not to mention, I did this while recuperating from surgery last year. I could have said no, but because I thought she was my friend, I helped her out. I let the incident with the dogs go because that's just her. She thinks nothing of stating on a regular basis that "she hates poodles." I have three of them and have had them all of my life and found it offensive that she was being so rude and tacky, but I didn't say anything because I considered her to be a friend. The following day after the dog incident, I called her on her cell phone. The phone picked up and then there was some noise in the background and then the phone was hung-up. I called back and left a message apologizing for the previous evening. I never heard anything back from her, so I called her again. Finally, after calling and leaving her three more messages, she calls me back and states "she didn't appreciate my messages, and that she didn't need me as a friend." I tried to explain that I didn't know that she had left her cell phone at home and that I was hung up on when I called initially. It was like she couldn't care less and continued to tell me she didn't need me as a friend. This felt kind of odd because who throws away a 2 year friendship over a stupid mistunderstanding? Well, I have sent her some emails of encouragement because she is supposed to have surgery, and she has yet to even acknowledge me even when I signed her surgery support page. My friends have told me that she was looking for an excuse to end the friendship because she felt ashamed of eating in front of me or that she was jealous or that I forced her into going ahead with the surgery. I guess they are right because no one holds a grudge over something so petty as a couple of messages. Am I blowing this thing completely out of proportion? I'm really thinking that she used me just as an eating buddy and now I am useless, so my friendship is not worth continuing. My real friends have told me that it's her loss, but I just feel so hurt because I would bend over backwards for this woman and I even went to a couple of support meetings with her. I could use some advice here. Thank you, Randi 360/201/160
Most Active