Barix Clinic

Sarah C.
on 4/4/06 9:32 am - Mesa, AZ
I just got some new insurance, United Health Care, and called to find out if they cover, they do, they also said that I can just make an appointment no referral needed. Anyway, the Barix clinic has sent me some info so I called today and they signed me up for a seminar for the 12th. So I get the mail today and they said I didn't qualify at this time!! my BMI is 50, how could I not qualify? Any suggestions on what I should do would be very helpful. I have called and left a few messages with people. I hope this will pass soon and I can get going with this journey.
diamanti1
on 4/4/06 9:40 am - Peoria, AZ
You still may qualify but just not for "in" network coverage from Barix. I spoke with Barix about a year ago and UHC did not have them as an In network provider...so I could have surgery there...but would have cost significantly more $$ vs. an in network provider. Scottsdale Bariatric is a UHC provider...and my surgery was covered almost completely....so you may want to just look at the in network providers.
Sarah C.
on 4/4/06 9:45 am - Mesa, AZ
At the time this letter was mailed, they didn't know my current insurance though!! So I don't know what to think. I did call the Scottsdale center, and I have not heard back from them. And if you can't tell, I'm very eager to get this ball rolling! Thanks for the input.
vquigley
on 4/4/06 12:42 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Don't give up! I think I would go to the seminar anyway and get the information. Dr. Schlesinger is great and knows his stuff. I went to the seminar in December and then didn't hear from Barix for several weeks, finally called them and they told me that they didn't take my insurance (Tricare) and then called me back the same day to say that they are now taking it. Unfortunately, Tricare changed their rules and I cannot have my surgery at Barix and I'm having to go somewhere else. I have been going to their support group the 3rd Tuesday of every month at 6:00 at their facility and it has been very helpful. Hopefully, you will get your phone calls returned soon. Good luck! Virginia
Darlene X
on 4/4/06 2:23 pm - Maricopa, AZ
Dr Juarez & Dr Fang @ St Lukes, "The Bridges Center" accept UHC.... I had UHC, awesome insurance....approved in 7 days....easy as pie, no diets and all that crap. Good Luck.
Sarah C.
on 4/5/06 1:01 am - Mesa, AZ
Thanks for the info, I guess I will be making a call to The Bridges Center! I do so want to get this going! Is there a Dr. you would chose between the 2 of them? i.e. is one a little better, does one do lap v open? Thanks again. Sarah
Darlene X
on 4/5/06 12:48 pm - Maricopa, AZ
Both specialize in Lap--- they don't do any open surgeries unless forced to, which is like 1% of surgeries. I lean towards Dr Fang.... Both are excellent choices, but Dr Fang is a little younger, more agressive, and more personable. Dr Juarez is very talented, but Ive heard his bedside manner isnt the greatest. Both Hubby & I had Dr Fang.
Sandy in Tucson
on 4/5/06 2:31 pm - Tucson, AZ
the percentage is more than 1%....I had an open with Dr. Fang and so did my room mate in my room at St. Lukes. I know 3 other open RNy surgery people of Dr. Fangs...also. Sandy in Tucson
Sarah C.
on 4/5/06 2:41 pm - Mesa, AZ
That is great to know about Dr. Fang, cause that is who I have my appt. with on May 1st. I am so excited, and thank you all for your help with the Dr.'s and clinic info, I really appreciate the help.
Arizona_Sun
on 4/5/06 12:23 am - Gilbert, AZ
I would just follow up and ask for clarification. Sometimes mistakes happen and with your BMI this could be a mistake. Dr. S is a very good surgeon and the clinic is a wonderful place to spend your post-op recovery days, but they do not have an ER or ICU so complications have to be transported to a local hospital. Last I heard Barix was an out-of-network provider on all plans so that will require you to pay up the difference. When I had my surgery there they did make arrangements over a two year period to facilitate your portion of the fees. Scottsdale Bariatric Center is also an excellent place to consider. I think they tend to be pretty busy, but just be patient and hang in there until you get a response from them. Sandy
Most Active