Importance of Resistance training

Laif
on 3/22/06 6:12 am - chandler, AZ
I see people after surgery doing cardio vascular excercise and no resistance training. The reality is that on a low calorie, restricted diet, cardio work could be the worst thing one could do. More focus needs to be put on resistance training. The body loses so much muscle mass even up to months after surgery and doctors do not seem to be stressing this enough. (of course once the body is able to perform resistance training as per doctors orders) Id like to talk about this issue more with people. I am a fitness trainer and I have done many support groups in NJ, where i am from originally. Not here to sell anything, just to chat and get the proper information out. thanx ERIK
(deactivated member)
on 3/22/06 6:26 am - Phoenix, AZ
Hello Erik - thanks for the posting. I am 9 months post op, and have shed 112 lbs to date. I go to Curves 4 x's a week and walk 3 miles daily, with Sunday being the day for rest. I believe I am getting enough resistance training from the circuit @ Curves, with the added benefits of cardio during the intervals and the daily walking. Can you think of anything else I should be doing?
Laif
on 3/22/06 6:48 am - chandler, AZ
Well first can u tell me the amount of calories you are taking in daily? that will play a huge effect on the amount of cardio u should be doing.. curves is a great way to start working out. Dont be afraid to join a gym eventually because curves is very limited when it comes to a little more advanced conditioning. Dont get me wrong, its a great way to start. Overall, it sounds like your doing very well... I would jus****ch the excessive cardio.. u dont want to burn muscle since your caloric intake is probably low. ERIK
JRinAZ
on 3/22/06 7:02 am - Layton, UT
Hey Erik, I"m kind of feeling like you're slipping in here to advertise in an unorthodox way? Since you're neither pre-op, post-op or even looking into the surgery, maybe you should advertise at the gym. Exercise decisions should be made between the patient and their doctor however I agree with the principle of what you have said. Good luck in your efforts. Joyce
Do-over Girl
on 3/26/06 8:26 am - Tempe, AZ
I agree with Joyce. Erik, many of us if not all of the pre-op/post-op patients work with their surgeons to determine their fitness needs both pre/post op. I know for me personally I had consultations with the hospital exercise physiologists both pre/post op and 2x monthly at SBC's support groups. I also have the ability to call them if needed at any time for a re-evaluation. Blanket statements on exercise shouldn't be made on this site and pre-ops/post-ops should only be getting the advice they need from their surgeons/PCPs since that is what is safe and prudent. The process is confusing enough for most of us without causing undo worry or concern on what is "right or wrong".
Most Active